Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ESL teachers I need your help for a survey    

ESL teachers I need your help for a survey

flo84
France

ESL teachers I need your help for a survey

Hi everyone

Everything started with a problem of vocabulary. That problem is solved but gave me the idea to organize a debate with my students about the time they spend at school. For this I need to compare the French school system with your country �s.
That �s why I �m starting here a new post.

For all the teachers who would like  to participate,  I need to know:
 - the country of the school,
- what time school starts and finishes,
- how long lunch break is,
- how many classes there are in a usual day
-  how long  a class is.
- how long  a break is
- how many breaks you & your students have  in a day.

I will copy everything in a word document.

Teachers of any country can participate.

Thank you everyone

31 Aug 2013      

RileyR
Israel

Israel School starts at 0815am. It doesn �t end at the same time every day. Ending time can varied between 1:15 to 4:00pm. Lunch break 25 minutes Usually 7-8 classes a day. A class is 45 minutes. The longest break is the lunch break- 25 minutes; the rests are 10 minutes break. 2 classes and then lunch break. 2 classes and another break and so on� In Israel children study 6 days a week (Sunday to Friday), School starts on August 26 and ends on June 20. I am doing the debate in my class as well, if you build a lesson plan, please upload it :) Great idea! Good Luck

31 Aug 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I teach at a primary school in Israel and my times are slightly different.
Lessons are 45 indeed minutes (but sometimes there will be two lessons on the same subject in a row so it becomes one long lesson)

We start at 8.
There is a short break (15 minutes) from 8.45 to 9 for a sandwich etc.
2 classes until 10.30
Break from 10.30 to 11
2 classes until 12.30
break from 12.30 to 12.50
up to third/fourth grade kids have one more class until 1.30
up to 6th grade they �ll often have a 7th hour until 2.15.
Fridays school ends at 12.

We also study 6 days a week, Saturday is our only day off.
School start on August 27th and end at 30 of June. (ten days later than high school...)

31 Aug 2013     

RileyR
Israel

we start school on August 27 as well :)

31 Aug 2013     

aneliz15
Puerto Rico

In Puerto Rico, school starts Aug 1 and ends May 31. Classes begin at 8:00 and are 50 minutes long. Students take an average of 6-7 classes a day. (Math, English, Spanish, History,  Sience, Physical Education and Art or Music, while others take Theater or any other elective class) Lunch period is usually from 11:30-12:30 pm. It �s the only break they have.
 And students have classes until 3:00 pm. School is from Monday through Friday.

31 Aug 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

In Croatian state schools, it �s like this:
- school starts the first Monday in September (tomorrow) and lasts till about June 15th (with a 2-3 week winter holiday, a week spring break, and the usual state holidays)
- if the school has 2 shifts, then the morning shift starts at 8am, and the afternoon shift at 2 pm (although kids sometimes have additional lessons before that), 
- lunch break is usually about 15mins (because they �re at school in shifts, not the whole day), 
- the number of classes depends on the age - kids from 1st to 4th grade usually have 4-5 lessons a day, whereas kids from 5th to 8th grade have about 5-6 lessons a day (high school kids have 6-7 lessons a day, with additional activities sometimes) 
-  a class is 45 mins long 
- breaks last for 5 mins 
- kids have a 5 min break after every lesson (every 45mins), with one 15-min break for a snack/lunch - teachers have the same schedule 
Saturdays and Sundays are free.

31 Aug 2013     

Doot
Canada

In Canada most schools start the first Tuesday in September and continue until the last Friday in June. in our high school we have 4 classes a day that are 75 minutes long. School starts at 8:30 until 3:00. Our lunch break is 55 minutes long. Our school has semesters so students take four classes the first semester and 4 the second semester.  Students get one break at around 11:00 for 15 minutes. 

31 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In Ukraine:
- lessons start at 8:30 and end at 13:15 for primary, and at 14:10/ 15:05 for secondary and highschool depending on the number of lessons
- 20 min for lunch break 
- 4/5 lessons for primary and 5/7/8 lessons for secondary and highschool
- one lesson is 45 min,
- there are 5/10/15 and 20 min breaks
- we have breaks after each class, i.e. every 45 min

Sophia

31 Aug 2013     

miyoko71
Morocco

In Morocco, we have two school systems :private and govenrnent schools
for private schools;lessons start at 8;30-11h45 and 14:30-17:45 apart from wednesday we don �t have class in the afternoon.
- so students go home for lunch
-each lesson is one hour for primary and for middle school they vary from one hour to two hours.
-2 breaks  a day: each one 15 minutes .at 10:30 and 16:30
 concerning government schools they have a different timing
8 to 12 and 2 to 6 pm, yet students may have  a free morning or a free afternoon  or even a different time ie 9 to 12 or 16:00 to 18:00

31 Aug 2013     

nancym
Suriname

Hi, 
In Suriname, we have different kinds of schools that all have a different starting in the morning and end different also. 
I am only going to give the info about our junior high schools.

- school starts at twenty-five minutes past seven and finishes at ten past one in the afternoon, so basically its just 5 and a half hours.
- we don �t have a lunch break, is more like a late breakfast
- the break is twenty minutes. so from 10.10 - 10.30
- a class lesson is usually 40 min but sometimes, you have double the lesson so one subject can be 80 min
- every day there is just one break for the students.
- the teachers have breaks between classes, five or six class hours a week.
 As I said earlier, we have other schools, like primary, basic, senoir high, secondary and university with different hours, mostly in de mornings going on till the beginning of noon.
Also, we have school from monday through friday, weekend are free except the university and a few secondary schools.
 Ik hope this was usefull.
Good Luck!!

31 Aug 2013