Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please, help me. I have a doubt.    

Please, help me. I have a doubt.

atsitab
Portugal

Please, help me. I have a doubt.

Hi, dear colleagues.

I have a doubt and I�d like you to help me, please.

Yesterday I was solving a rephrasing exercise about concessive clauses.  The sentence was: "They have a car, but they rarely use it."  When I rephrased it, I wrote: Though they have a car, they rarely use it.  My coleague said it wasn�t correct.  She thinks it�s this way: Though they rarely use it, they have a car.

Which is correct?  Can you help me?

Thank you!

29 Jan 2009      

jasmindagerhorn
Sweden

I think you can say both.

Regards,
Jasmin

29 Jan 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

I think you can say both too although I feel your version to be the more common. I would, in both sentences, use "although" instead of though. The second sentence places more emphasis on the fact that "they rarely use it".

29 Jan 2009     

Rosario Pacheco
Portugal

Dear colleague.
According to me the correct answer is without any doubt:Though they have a car, they rarely use it.  In fact it is the one you used.
Regards Ros�rio.

29 Jan 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I like the first one.

29 Jan 2009     

labellevie
France

You can use both, the way your colleague rephrased it is a little awkward sounding.  I would go with Amanda and use �although�, especially in writing, although in speaking both are absolutely fine...

JQ

29 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I would say:
they have a car they rarely use.  (no it here)
this is how any American would phrase it.

all the other sentences sound awkward.

L

29 Jan 2009     

atsitab
Portugal

Thank you all for helping!

This is what this forum is for: to share materials and help eachother with any doubt we might have.

Thank you all for your quick replies!

Have a good evening!

Ana

29 Jan 2009     

Nucha75
Portugal

Dear atsitab,

I believe that your coleague �s answer is not grammatically correct, since the mais phrase is the  fact that they own a car. So without hesitating, i would suggest yours.

Helena

29 Jan 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi all

I think "but" in this sentence can be replaced by "however" or "yet" but not with "although", "despite" or "inspite of".

30 Jan 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

Yours is the correct one . Besides being correct, it�s a matter of logic and emphasis. What you want to emphasize is the the fact of their having a car and rarely using it which is, in the writer�s opinion, strange.
My students tend to have the same problem and I take pains to help them see the difference.

Bigbang

30 Jan 2009