Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > present simple question    

present simple question

MarionG
Netherlands

present simple question

Hello grammarians, I need your help!

In class we read a text about different ways to celebrate the new year.
One of the questions read:
Where do people watch a giant ball fall down?

One of my students scribbled on the page that the question is incorrect because it should be :
Where do people watch a giant ball falls down?
(and she of course also answered: In New York City people go to watch a giant ball falls down)

I am grateful she is at least aware of the present simple, but am at a bit of a loss as to how to explain to her that we don �t conjugate �fall � here (only people watch). The present simple is confusing enough for them, I don �t want to make it even worse. Does anyone have an EASY explanation I can offer her?

6 Sep 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s because it �s a bare infinitive not present simple.
I guess the easy way would be introducing it as a structure watch/hear/feel/sense sb/sth do sth  in which the sb/sth+infinitive is a direct object. Just introduce the structure and examples and let them practice.

Sophia

6 Sep 2013     

florimago
Spain

Hi, I agree with Sophia and it doesn�t come to my mind a better way to explain it.   After verbs of perception (see, watch, hear, listen , feel, smell, notice ...) If we want to emphasise that the action is completed, we use the bare infinitive. On the other hand, we use the -ing form when we just perceive a part of the action .

Ask them to describe actions that , for example , they saw, heard,  ... at home or on their way to school . it may be fun and useful for practising !!!

Flori

7 Sep 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, if I understood correctly, I can explain to her that the verb �watch � is in present simple here (and so, if it had been �John � in stead of �people � it would have been �watches � ) but for the ball she doesn �t need the present simple because the sentence isn �t about the ball that falls, it is about how people watch the-ball-fall. I �ll try and explain that we use the bare infinitive after verbs of perception but I �m afraid it �s over her head. As I said, I am already delighted she remembered there is an issue with the �s � in Present simple, most students tend to forget the �s � all together....This is the first time I have a kid use it too much...
Thank you so much for your responses!

7 Sep 2013     

florimago
Spain

Hi again : I �ve just remembered something I tell my students, when they have a low level and don�t need to know much grammmar. I always tell them that when they have 2 or 3 verbs coming together , they must use the -s for the third person , if it�s needed, in the first verb but never in the rest of them . That makes things easy for them!!!

7 Sep 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi Flori,
That sounds like a simple answer indeed. I have to try it out for myself a little but it sounds like the kind of thing I could tell her..definitely a lot easier than bare infinitives and verbs of perception!
Thank you again fro helping me with this.

7 Sep 2013     

florimago
Spain

Please tell me if it worked !!! Good luck anyway!!!

7 Sep 2013