Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > English Only?    

English Only?

Mr. Wilson
Chile

English Only?

I lived in California during the English only campaigns against bilingual education.

As a teacher you know what it is like to teach your language. Do you know what it is like to learn another language. It is hard and a lot of work. If we can do anything to ease this labor it is our responsibility to offer students help. 

My worksheet does just this to English language learners coming from Spanish as a second language. It has been repeatedly reported, yet gotten constant positive comments. Why this dilema. Consider for yourself and see what your conscience says... right or wrong to deny access to information that can aid other just because it does not fit the narrow definition of Only English

Mr. Wilson
Chile 

Why is there no room for an alternative teaching methodology. English only! There is a grey area between languages. That grey area can be traversed with a bridge such as Cognates. Spanish English Cognates help students navigate the uncertain waters of a Second Language

It is a sign that I have gotten positive responses to my worksheet. That is because it works. Exceptions to the rule exist. Is there discretion to accept these exceptions. Accept exceptions, or intolerance to what may serve others, just because it does not follow our rules

Open minds funtion like parachute... only when open...

New comments on your worksheets

Contribution:

OK, take me back to ESLprintables homepage

11 Sep 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I voted for your worksheet to be removed and i �m not a "worksheet nazi" - the rules are very simple:
  • Your contributions must be 100% in English language.

• Your contributions must be your own creations.

•   Worksheets consisting just of lists (such as "Phrasal verbs list" or "Irregular verbs list") are allowed, although they are not recommended because everybody can find them in other websites for free. Of course, they are not allowed if you have copied them from another source.
and it seems that you followed neither of these rules... because isn �t it where you found your worksheet:
http://www.linguasorb.com/learnspanish/spanish-cognates.aspx ???

so shame on you for blaming us and shame on you for registering on this great website and not bothering to read the rules before accepting them!

Elodie

P.S.: by the way the "100 % in English" rule is because most of us have only one language in common, English, and if we were to put other languages in our worksheets 95 % of ESLP members would not be able to use them...

12 Sep 2013     

alexcure
Poland

Mr.Wilson, you can upload your worksheets again after having deleted the second language. 

As an addition to Elodie�s PS: the rules also help not to overload the site, we don�t pay for using it, but it certainly does its webmaster and founder. It �s very selfish to think only about our worksheets, please think also about the person who maintains the site. 

Alex

12 Sep 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

@alexcure: the rules are not here just to "help not  to overload the site" as you put it i �m afraid... they �re here to make sure this website will not be closed for not respecting copyright laws...
in this case the list is copyrighted

and linguasorb could ask us not only to remove the worksheet but accuse us of stealing their property - since when we publish something on eslp we have copyright on what we publish... it �s the same with watermarked cliparts, and that �s why moderators like the 2 of us try to get rid of the documents that do not follow the rules... Victor made sure there were moderators so that  he wouldn �t have to do all this hard work by himself.

12 Sep 2013     

alexcure
Poland

I agree with you, Elodie, I wrote" As an addition to Elodie�s PS: the rules also help not to overload the site"

You did very well to remember us about the copyright laws.  

12 Sep 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

As said by the others above, copyrights, website overloads etcetera, but above all, as Elodie said, as too many of us don �t know Spanish, or many of the other languages, makes �dual � worksheets pretty useless. Apart from that, Mr Wilson, my colleague and I tested the theory of using native language plus English or the English only method. After three months, the English only students spoke basic English, while the other group barely uttered a word. To us it was clear evidence and thus we teach English only. Food for thought, don �t you think? Maybe you should open your parachute before ranting on about the rules of this very useful and free site. And remember, nobody forced you to join up or to stay, did they?

12 Sep 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

How useful would a worksheet which is in עברית או אולי הולנדית be for you? Probably as useful as a sheet in Spanish is for me..Wackothe English Only rule makes a lot of sense....
and of course I agree with the previous posters...

12 Sep 2013     

zailda
Brazil

I can �t see where the grey area in "100% English" is. Maybe I haven �t mastered English as well as I should, but for me the rules are as strict as they should be, and clear enough to be followed - whether we agree with them or not.

If we choose to upload material against the rules, I �m afraid headaches will come.

Have a nice day.

Zailda Coirano

12 Sep 2013     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Great,
so we moderators are "worksheet Nazis" just because you cannot read? Shocked Because if you could you would be able to read the rules and your wss wouldn �t have to be reported.
And YES, I also voted for removal!

12 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think the worst sin is that it �s copied! Up the worksheet Nazis Evil Smile - keep up the good work! 
By the way, it�s also (quite rightly) against the rules to publish private messages on the forum. 

12 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Mr. Wilson,
You are welcome to use your worksheets in your classes, and even share them with your colleagues. However, when you choose to share worksheets on this site, it has to be done according to the rules of this site. That isn �t saying, as you seem to think it is saying, that your worksheets aren �t useful. It is, as Marion pointed out, one way to have materials that are useful to as many people as possible.

Bruce

12 Sep 2013     

1    2    3    Next >