Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > A question about worksheets that contain a few pages.    

A question about worksheets that contain a few pages.

Marla D.
United States

A question about worksheets that contain a few pages.

Hi,
I was wondering when it is okay to load worksheets that are part of the same exercise separately? Is there some sort of rule that, for example, if I have three pages, I have to load it as one file?
Thanks!

15 Sep 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

As far as the rules go, if you have an answer key, it must be included in the original document. Also, if you upload both a black-and-white version and a color version, they must be in the same document. That �s about it.

I personally have only loaded worksheets and presentations separately when the document/presentation was too large for a single upload. I think most of us are more likely to take something when we only have to click once, and when we don �t have to put it back together afterwards. At our level, we can only upload three documents or presentations a day. I didn �t get many hits on my five-part pronunciation chart!

However, since I looked at your profile, I am more likely to look for your work now. You and I both work with adults, presumably with multilingual classes (at least mine are). That makes us a minority here.

15 Sep 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

I wish we had a section for adult learners. I have suggested it to Victor. MoodyMoody I don �t think it �s that small a minority.

16 Sep 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

hello,

i totally agree with MoodyMoody :)

if it �s a word document or a ppt with only a few pictures, you can easily compress them and make sure your file is in one part.

if it �s a word document or a ppt with many pictures, many of them quite heavy because of their details (if you compress too much the pictures get blurry and can be no longer as detailed as you want them to be), or a ppt with many animations, with sound etc., it �s okay if they are in many parts, no one will complain. what I usually do is tell in the description how many parts I had to make, remind the other members that to get the complete document they need to download the other parts, and when i can I provide a link for them to download the complete document (on mediafire usually) so that they don �t have to redo the animations...

sometimes I will make a ppt and a word document to go with it, I apply the same "rules", telling other members that there are several parts to the document and so on...

if you create a text, you don �t have to include exercises, but if you do, you �ll probably get more downloads if you upload them in one single file, unless of course you upload on different days.

usually members do prefer to download as few documents as they can so you should keep in mind that the less divided a document is, the more points it will get :)))

have a nice week and

16 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In my opinion, you should only send sheets separately if they are too heavy to load as one document. Otherwise, I consider it really poor form. Even if you want as many points as possible, you want to give colleagues on here a good deal, don �t you, rather than garner points?

MoodyMoody, I teach kids from 11 - 16 and a lot of the stuff aimed at adults, suits my students.

16 Sep 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The rules are quite clear. When people consider the fact that pictures etcetera can be compressed, it �s quite easy to stay within the limit. I, too, prefer work in one document over having to link different pages together. And as far as adult students are concerned, people should consider to tick the right boxes when uploading, instead of blindly stating the work is suitable for all ages and levels. If we do, we don �t need an adult section. Simple as that. Cheers, Peter.

16 Sep 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

Peter, I �m not sure I agree. The top box or age group is 14+. Something that captures the interest of a teenager might not appeal to an adult. Certain subjects are certainly inappropriate for teenagers. Yes the grammar might be the same but the content is not! All I ask is for a category 18+. If we can divide the ages into 2, 3, 4,etc why not have an over 18 group. There is a lot less difference between a 4 and 5 year old than a 14 and 44 year old.

16 Sep 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

why don �t we start a post about adding a 18+/adult category, when we have the opinion of enough members we can contact Victor and ask if he can add this category, what do you think?
i �ve never taught adults, but as an adult if I were to learn a language, let �s say chinese, it �s true that there �s a huge difference btw a 14+ ws and a 18+ ws: more slang, more "political" ws, opinion pieces, more/harder innuendos, more "sex" (videos with innuendos about sex - in HIMYM for example...)
anyway if you were to ask my opinion i �d say "go for it, we need a 18+ category!"

16 Sep 2013