Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > instructional materials    

instructional materials

rach81
Philippines

instructional materials

hello everyone,

My pincipal assigned me to teach remedial reading to our students who have difficulties reading in English since english is not our mother tongue.  I have been teaching for 10 years already however this is my first time to handle students with reading difficulties. All of my previous students before know how to read already. I haven �t attended any remedial reading seminars or workshops before so I actually do not have any books or instructional materials to use. My students ages range from 11-15, and I have found out that most of them can read three letter words but are hard up on 4-letter words specially words with diphthong and blends.
     Could anyone please recommend a book or a site from which I could get instructional materials fo my students.
Thank you very much in advance :)

16 Sep 2013      

miss K.
Ukraine

Try teaching them to read phonetically. A good way is combining phonetcs and whole word lreaning to read method. A good book can be found at www.readinglesson.com They also offer a lesson or two for free. It really works even with older students. Book has been designed for those experiencing difficulties learning to read. 

Also try  searching mini-books of David Lisgo, a member of this site. Type his name in the "by the user" section.

On youtube search for phonics from MapleLeafHashima youtube channel, Koomakids and there should be others.

16 Sep 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I agree with Miss K, phonics is the way to go.

Start by teaching them each letter sound, go on to the long and short vowel sounds, and then diagraphs and triagraphs. It �s also good to work on memorizing the common sight words.

You also have to work on their ability to hear the first last and middle sounds in easy words. P-I-G for example. The first sound is the easiest for kids to hear, then last, then middle. Focus on vocabulary and naming the first sounds. Once they can do that, work on last, then finally middle sounds.

Then comes the next step, using these skills to actually sound out words. I have them cover the letters in the word and make the first sound. "P", then move the ruler (finger, pointer) and sound the second letter "I", then the two together " Pi"... and so on.

Discourage guessing, and have them go through the letters sounding them out until they say the word and know what it is. If you stand over them and make them sound each sound out like this, and push hard for them to not guess, and finish each word... for a week or two, then they will do it on their own, with only a little guidance and reminders not so guess.

It �s a lengthy process, but once they have it, they will be able to read! Best of luck!

16 Sep 2013