Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > another vocabulary question    

another vocabulary question

monder78
Poland

another vocabulary question

Although I have been teaching the language for several years sometimes I am in 2 minds about English vocabulary. This time I �m wondering if there is any phrase to express that you are crazy about your job to such an extend that you keep talking about the professional terms or you only think about your work, or you associate everything on your way with work in your daily life. I don �t mean talk shop, though this is really good as well but when it comes to talking. I also don �t mean workaholic I hope some native speakers or other fellow teachers will help me. In Polish it´s zboczenie zawodowe. in English we have sexual deviance. Does a similar phrase to this one but in reference to work exist ? Can we say we suffer from morbid interest in work ?

20 Sep 2013      

srtacarrie
United States

Are you looking for a term that expresses someone who seems obsessed with their job that they continually talk about it? 

Or is is more accurate that you are looking for a term that expresses how someone is so immersed in their profession that its terminology enters every aspect of their lives?

"To talk shop" is to discuss the workplace happenings or to discuss a workplace matter. 
A person who always uses terms from his/her work might be said to be using "jargon", which are "special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand."

Those are my thoughts.

20 Sep 2013     

monder78
Poland

Thanks for you thoughts. I mean a person who thinks about her/his work every time he/ she has to say something which can be somehow associated with his/her job, who while answering somebody else �s questions uses his/her Jargon(YES! THE LANGUAGE USED BY A PARTICULAR PROFESSION) and likes to talk about his/her work in spare time. To talk shop, an workaholic are good but don �t reflect what I mean. I mean that it is a slightly crazy person about his/her job as everything that surrounds the person is associated by her with the person �s professional terminology.

20 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

completely obsessed with work?
a ... (name of the job) freak?

20 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This would confer the meaning: �he lives and breathes teaching � (or whatever his job is). Otherwise, Sophia �s suggestion �completely obsessed with teaching, � is good. 

20 Sep 2013     

alexcure
Poland

Zboczenie zawodowe has its English equivalent which is a professional bias, you can be professionally biased (at least in American English). 

20 Sep 2013     

monder78
Poland

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions. I do like cunliffe �s. That is really nice. Enjoy your weekend. Bye

20 Sep 2013     

jarek2011
Poland

what about this one:  "to live for one �s job"

20 Sep 2013