Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difference between an essay and a composition???    

Difference between an essay and a composition???

Dianna Madrigal
Costa Rica

Difference between an essay and a composition???

Hi all! Could somebody please explain me the difference between an essay and a composition??? Thanks in advance.....   

30 Jan 2009      

penbwl
Japan

One way to look at it is that "composition" is a super-category, whereas "essay" would be a sub-category of composition.

Another way would be to say that "composition" can have many forms e.g. musical composition or chemical composition etc., whereas "essay", as you mean it, is purely a literary composition.

Hope this helps you somewhat...

*Update*

These links bring out the same points:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/composition

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/essay

You can also see that essay has some older uses that are not so commonly used these days.

30 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

An essay usually deals with an analysis or interpretation and has a more limited point of view.

A composition is "a piece of writing, especially a school exercise in the form of a brief essay" (Webster�s)

I usually use them interchangeably ,but believe that "composition" is a wider term than "essay", it doesn�t have to be analytical or interpretive..

Douglas

30 Jan 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Like Douglas, I usually use both terms  interchangeably, although I use "essay" much more often

30 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

As the other posters have said, you can use either composition or essay. A lot depends on how precisely you wish to define the piece of written work.

A composition can be any piece of organised work - music, language, scientific or art work, just to name a few fields! 

An essay is a specific form of analytical or interprative work and is usually in a written format.

Cheers!

30 Jan 2009