Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Close test    

Close test

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Close test

Dear colleagues, I have found a text about crime on the internet and I find it extremely difficult to fill the gaps with suitable words. I would be very grateful if somebody can suggest the correct answers- (maybe native speakers?) Here is the text: The 0. question of how we should treat criminals is 1.___ that almost everyone seems to have an opinion 2.__ . While some advocates of capital punishment 3._______ about its effectiveness, opponents are glad that it has been 4.____(excuse the pun) and hope that it will never be reintroduced again. Those in favour of the death penalty point out that keeping offenders in prison is expensive, it does not provide a sufficient 5._________ to other people and does not deter the criminals themselves, as many 6.________ shortly after being released. The arguments against capital punishment range from those who believe we should not be 7._____ and should not inflict pain on other people, to those who say we should not be 8.______ into thinking that killing someone is a sufficient punishment for murderers, as it means that they do not suffer enough. These people think it is better to keep offenders in 9.______ and that they should be 10.______ to do hard work which benefits the community, so that they can suffer some 11.___________ . These people also believe that serious criminals should not 12.__ released early on parole. I guess what it all 13._____ down to is whether you feel any sympathy for 14._________ , and whether you think that they were responsible for their lifestyle choices or whether they were pushed there due to the things that they suffered and experienced in their lives. How much of our sympathy do they 15._______ ? Thank you so much for your help. I wish you a nice day. Zvonka

25 Sep 2013      

Zora
Canada

Here are the answers that I have come up with. Of course, it is possible that other answers exist too.

1. something/one

2. on/about

3. talk/speak/rave

4. abolished /killed

5. deterrent

6. state

7. cruel

8. tricked

9. jail/prison

10. made

11. hardships? - might be a better answer out there.

12. be

13. boils/comes

14. them

15. deserve

Cheers,

Linda

25 Sep 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

This is what I could figure out.

1. complex 2. established 3. argue 4. killed 5. deterrent 6. reoffend 7. cruel 8. talked 9. prison 10. forced 11. comeuppance 12. be 13. boils/comes 14. criminals 15. deserve

-Dar

25 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, chaps, why don�t you see if you�re correct or not. The exercise (with possible answers) is here:

25 Sep 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

very hard indeed!
so far my correct answers are:
6. REOFFEND
9. JAIL
12. BE
13. BOILS
14. MURDERERS
15. DESERVE
i �m still trying to find the others...

Edit:
1. ONE
2. ON
5. DETERRENT

25 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Fantabulous eveing challege - thx for the link Almaz
It accepts suitable synonyms.

I have all bar 2 correct (and they are driving me crazeeee!) . My correct answers are:

1. ONE
2. ON
3. ? edit: enthuse (imho, poor choice of word as it is not commonly used in this form, imho)
4. ? edit: axed
5. DETERRENT
6. REOFFEND
7. CRUEL
8. MISLED
9. JAIL
10. MADE
11. HARDSHIP
12. BE
13. BOILS
14. CRIMINALS
15. DESERVE

25 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Jayho,

�for 3: think about another word like �rave �, but slightly more formal.

�for 4: think about a means of execution.

Beer

25 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Almaz

Well, I got no 3 now: enthuse! 

Still stuck on no 4 though. I tried every means of execution plus an assortment of other words. 

Cheers

Jayho

25 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

And if I said an instrument of execution - verbed?

25 Sep 2013     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Zora, Dar, Almaz, Elojolie and Jayho,

Thank you all for your answers.

My colleague found the text on the net and we thought it could be a very good exercise on the topic of crime, however, the missing words should be given and we could erase some easier words to be then filled in. The problem is that you don �t get the right word when you do it interactively unless you come up with the right one yourself. Also, not all words are accepted as correct, for example, you can only use ... an opinion on ... and not an opinion about.
I didn �t expect that it would be such a hard nut to crack for us - techers though.

Regards,
Zvonka

25 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Alamz

I have entered every possible verb form of execution that I know of (and I learnt a few new forms via this task).

Can you give me a clue?

- Is it a current form form of execution or a medieval form?

- Does it have an American, British or other spelling variation?

- what does it start with? : )

Zvonka - the nut is almost cracked ...

Cheers

Jayho

25 Sep 2013     

1    2    Next >