Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help me please    

help me please

yanogator
United States

Les �s explanation is thorough (as always) and correct.

Bruce

26 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Les, I �ve missed your excellent explanations.

Welcome back!

26 Sep 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Les... I �ve missed you. Ed

26 Sep 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Hi Les, a very hearty welcome back to you - we �ve all missed your brilliance!!!!

26 Sep 2013     

KoreGuney
Australia

Woods is a correct answer too. It means a � forest �  in this sentence (actually smaller than a forest)  used as an uncountable noun. So, woods is not plural like forests. For plural I �ve seen usages like �wooded areas �.

The woods near our village is beautiful.
The wooded areas near our village are beautiful.

27 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Agreed, KoreGuney � most usage guides consider singular woods to be a relatively well-defined forested area ("larger than a grove, smaller than a forest") although plural woods can refer to the forest generally.

27 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

KoreGuney is right about everything except the agreement. Woods are. 

Hello, dear Les, you have been really missed; wonderful to see you posting and of course, your explanation is both thorough and absolutely correct. 

Lynne x

27 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Dictionary.com agrees with Les

woods  (wʊdz)
pl n
1. closely packed trees forming a forest or wood, esp a specific one

27 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oooooh, Lynne...careful! Here �s O �Conner and Kellerman from the excellent Grammarphobia blog on singular woods (quoting Merriam-Webster �s Dictionary of English Usage):

However, Merriam-Webster�s says the plural �woods� is sometimes used in the same way as the singular �wood��that is, as a delineated forested area of medium size.

When �woods� is used this way, according to M-W, �it is usually (though not always) construed as singular.�

Full article here. Having said that, it �s not a particularly common usage in the UK (a woods), as far as I know.

27 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello, Alex, 
You always manage to go beyond regular usage and dig deeper and present us with very enriching linguistic nuances. I would NEVER have thought that it is possible to use woods in singular.
BTW to my mind, neither did the author of the test/exercise from which this sentence is taken.
What would you say to your students who you were preparing for an exam? Do you think we should share all the possible choices there are with our students, or will this confuse them or even cause a lower grade on an exam? 
Sophia

27 Sep 2013     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >