Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Cursive or Printed Letters?    

Cursive or Printed Letters?

sesanna
Estonia

Cursive or Printed Letters?

Hello everyone,

I have to choose whether to use cursive or printed letters with my students. What do you use with your students in English lessons? And how can I explain the choice to the parents? 

Thank you for your help!

30 Sep 2013      

debbie6
Canada

You must use printed letters. Very simple and clear. Teach them cursive writing as an extra "fun" thing to do. Everything is from the computers now...that is the reason that you have selected the printed word.

30 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Schools in the US are beginning to do away with teaching cursive, so I agree with Debbie.

Bruce

30 Sep 2013     

sesanna
Estonia

Thank you!

Do children in Canada also use printed letters?

30 Sep 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I always opt to the easiest to read. Not all cursive handwriting is easy to read and is really hard for smaller children to write and read. It has literally gone out of style.
Print or printed letters that hang together is my choice.

30 Sep 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

although i don �t teach very young kids, I do think teaching both is important... i see so many pupils (in their teens) whose handwriting is so bad that it �s almost impossible to read - and if you add bad spelling and bad grammar... when we want to write down a quick note, we tend to use cursive letters, it �s quicker, but when we want to fill in a form we tend to use printed letters, so both are useful, depending on the situation... but your pupils will be more used to printed letters (because they can see them in books, on computers...) so you should try to spend time teaching them cursive letters

30 Sep 2013     

sesanna
Estonia

Thank you!Smile

30 Sep 2013     

debbie6
Canada

Yes Canadian children use printed letters. There is talk of doing away with cursive because of the computers. Boys really have a hard time with cursive so schools have no issue with word being in printed letters. I our schools when homework is done if it isn �t done on a computer they can �t hand it in. Computers are everywhere for free use - schools, libraries etc. Good luck.

30 Sep 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

I have many South American students with amazingly beautiful cursive writing..the problem is that my other students from countries such as Japan, Thailand, Korea, Russia, Taiwan, China, Saudi Arabia cannot read it.

1 Oct 2013