Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Personal Pronoun    

Personal Pronoun

Chaozoffa
Indonesia

Personal Pronoun

Hi,

I �m kareena. I �m a parent of 6 years old boy, I found this question on his English worksheet subjected on Personal Pronoun. I need helps to find the correct answer for the question.

You and Kim are vets. _________ are vets.

*suppose to fill the blank with personal pronoun of you and kim*

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Warm regards,
Kareena

30 Sep 2013      

Ramone Souza
Brazil

you should fill with the pronoun "you", which can be used either for singular or plural. 

30 Sep 2013     

rosangie
Colombia

the correct answer is we because  I am included so I and Kim are vets. 

1 Oct 2013     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

I agree with Ramone - the correct answer is " you  " ( the plural  one ) .
Linda

1 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You. Although where I come from (NE England) we say, yous, but we would never write it.

1 Oct 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

Although in time, I �m sure, the word �yous � will become accepted, at present it is still considered bad grammar for many people. It makes me think of �ewes � ie female sheep! 

1 Oct 2013     

Jayho
Australia

You are vets

1 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

Lynne,
"Yous" is common in some parts of the US, too. A very interesting observation about it: People here always write it "youse", which doesn �t make any sense at all. First, I would pronounce it to rhyme with "louse" or "house", which destroys the word completely. Second, it is clearly meant as the plural of "you", so there �s no reason for it to be spelled in any way other than "yous".

Bruce

1 Oct 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Interestingly enough, both "youse" and "yous" are listed as colloquial forms in my 1997 copy of the Australian National Dictionary.

There is an interesting Australian article about it, its usage and origins, here and a blog here

1 Oct 2013     

douglas
United States

The correct answer is "you", but down south (southern USA) they�d say "y�all".

1 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Interesting, Bruce and Jayho. I remember when I started learning French and I thought how much sense it made to have a plural form of �you. � Then I started learning Italian, and there were four! Tu/voi/Lei/Loro. Great stuff! 

1 Oct 2013