Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > One question!!!    

One question!!!

Mini9
Peru

One question!!!

I want to present two people, what should I say?:
This is John and Carol or
These are John and Carol...
They are John and Carol

30 Sep 2013      

Ramone Souza
Brazil

You should use "these are John and Carol, my friends (or classmates, or neighbors)."

30 Sep 2013     

Mini9
Peru

Hm... well I asked that because a group of American people (native ones)came into the classroom and correct the handout the students have: These are John and Carol, but they said it was wrong that we should say This is Jhon and Carol 
:S

30 Sep 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

In the USA, we would say "This is John and Carol." You could also say "These are my friends, John and Carol."

30 Sep 2013     

Mini9
Peru

Ok, thank you and what about British English>??? any1 knows it?

30 Sep 2013     

monder78
Poland

Definitely in BE it is grammatically correct to say these are John and Carol.I think in AE we also can say These are ... but the variety of English is less strict about using grammar.

30 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Definitely �This is John and Carol �.

1 Oct 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

It might be a geographical thing for American English, but being from the Midwest, I would never say "These are John and Carol." Unless I was talking about their possessions. "These are John and Carol �s coats." It just sounds odd to my ear.

1 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

In BrE, we say "This is...", when introducing individuals by name (essentially, you�re saying "this is John and this is Carol" and dropping the second �this is" through ellipsis). Using "these are..." seems to be a wee bit of a hypercorrection/misapplied logic and can actually sound rude.

1 Oct 2013     

Jayho
Australia

This is John and Carol

1 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Alex �s explanation is true for the US, also. We would not say "These are John and Carol". I would avoid the whole thing by saying "Here are John and Carol."

Bruce

1 Oct 2013     

1    2    Next >