Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Business English    

Business English

cennoju
India

Business English

Hi everybody,

I have got a doubt. It is " should there be fun in Business English Classes? or Is it a waste of time because business is a serious thing?" If yes, why?

Hope my doubt will be cleared soon.

4 Oct 2013      

martino.marian
Argentina

In my opinion, it �s always better when it �s fun! Specially with adults, who tend to be a bit anxious about learning a new language, when you include fun in the lessons, it helps them relax and learning becomes more natural. :)

Of course, it will depend on the group you �re teaching...

Regards, 

Mariana

4 Oct 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Cennoju,

In Teaching, occasionally I am doubtful about something.  Today, I have no doubts about this Topic!

Whenever possible, I attempt to make my Lesson both informative AND entertaining.

Why?

Because the students relax and enjoy the Lesson more.

So, I agree with Mariana.

It was the American author, Mark Twain, who wrote:  

"Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions�.

Best wishes.

Les Douglas

4 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

There should be fun in every learning situation. It actually helps the students to learn the material better.

Bruce

4 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Les: Clap

4 Oct 2013     

maryse pey�
France

I completely agree : FUN is necessary to make the students enjoying their new notions and, even better, they will ask you to have some more details !

Fun makes easier the topics and gives them just the right "size" ! If I dare say ! You can play when the goals are not anxious goals, just goals to be reached in the best possible time ! The students will be much more participative, will ask more questions, will want more exercises !

No matter the age is !

And remember "The most wasted day is the day during which you have learnt nothing AND you have not laughed!" When I say my students "Well, the lesson is finished." they answer (for the most) "Oh no ! Not yet !"

Hugs.

Maryse.

4 Oct 2013     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Adults love games and when you choose the right game they can have fun and learn at the same time.  If one takes life too seriously it would be a very boring life.

4 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Even for workers in a business environment, there should be some opportunity to enjoy themselves. To look at the other side of Bruce �s point, boredom and drudgery inhibit learning. Students zone out and miss important information. However, the fun needs to be geared towards adults and may need to be adjusted to be appropriate in the professional environment.

Role plays, at least, need to be an integral part of your curriculum. Those are fun and practical at the same time. Encourage one side (or both sides) of a dialogue to act like jerks. If the customer, for example, acts badly, the employee gets practice in dealing with difficult situations. If the employee acts like a jerk, everyone can see why rudeness is usually counterproductive in business. And you will probably have many students that enjoy acting out. It �s a way to vent.

When I teach about applying for jobs, one of the activities my students like best is Who Gets the Job? They really like being in the position of the boss, and it helps them understand why bosses make the decisions they make. They relish arguing for and against the different applicants.

Students (and you!) can have fun with nearly any topic in Business English. Games are good, but students can have fun even without games. It makes your job easier, too.

P.S.: Off topic: Good to see you here, Les! I hadn�t seen you on in a long time!)

4 Oct 2013     

maceman
Canada

I agree with the opinions offered already.
From my own experience, when fun is infused into the learning process students look forward to attending classes.
Also, some studies indicate that there is a positive correlation between fun and learning.
Neurologist and educator Judy Willis in her book Research Based Strategies to Ignite Student Learning (ASCD 2006) and author Laura Erlauer - The Compatible Classroom (ASCD 2003) agree that an atmosphere of fun and enthusiasm is extremely important to quality learning. In short, the human brain responds positively to humour and laughter.
Have a great day.

5 Oct 2013