Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ice breakers    

Ice breakers

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ice breakers

In three weeks � time, 24 children aged between 11 and 14, from 6 different European countries, are coming to our school as part of a Comenius project. I don �t know what the level of their English is. I have to do the first hour with them, to help them get to know a bit about each other.

I have looked on here but they seem to be ice breakers for back to class, or jokes and things. 

Any ideas?

Lynne

7 Oct 2013      

omarengteacher
Peru

if they are children (or almost teens) they probably love sports and superhero movies, so you can bring photos of sports stars from their coutries (if you know the ss �s countries in advance) and you can start the usual questions  "where are you from" as well as questions about the sportspeople in the photos, and gradually continue with some present simple questions. If you see they understand, great. If not, you can make a fun class about countries and nationalities.

I hope it helps!!!

7 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �d go for a variety of name games

In a drama camp I also had "emotional orchestra" The students were split into groups according to the emotion card they pulled out (some basic emotions that can be expressed vocally) and they had to decide on the way they �re going to vocally express that emotion and each group stood up next to the other one forming a choir. I then played a director of the orchestra:) As I poited to a particular group they had to produce their sound. This can be real fun or real chaos depending on the students.

here are some more games which can be used for students with a more advanced level in English 
Sophia

7 Oct 2013     

Mariethe House
France

For ice-breakers, busyteacher. org are always very good.

http://busyteacher.org/16702-10-fun-icebreakers-break-back-to-school-ice.html

7 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

another link http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/tips/warmers

8 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, pomarengteacher, Marieth� and Sophia. There �s plenty here for me to be going on with. Thanks again.

8 Oct 2013