Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lost with a 9-year-old student.    

Lost with a 9-year-old student.

atenea30
Spain

Lost with a 9-year-old student.

Hi.

Well, I �m not new in this web page, I �ve been using online exercises for a long time but now I �m worried because it is not enough.

I �d like some help. I �m teaching a 9-year-old boy, he �s learning English and he has much difficulty. I must teach him conversation and listening comprehension but he doesn �t know grammar (he �s to young for learning it at school). I �m trying to teach him basic structures and simple conversations but it is boring and he �s very demotivated (and we have 1 hour and 30 minutes non-stop class).

Anyway, I �m doing anything I can and improving my (few) material. I �m willing to share anything I have or can and I hope you can help me a little.

Thank you very much.

13 Oct 2013      

SaraMariam
United States

Did you try board games or even some crafting activities (depening on what he likes). I teach my 9 year olds with many games and things where they get to do things, like making posters or little booklets ... It gets them talking and teaches them simple sentences and words without them even noticing. You can find many boardgames on here that you can adapt t othe level of your student. And I have a  box of "kinder surprise eggs"- figures for them to choose from for the game. They find that pretty funny somehow .. and I had a lot of fun eating the chocolate lol :p

13 Oct 2013     

atenea30
Spain

The problem is that it �s not a whole group, it �s only one kid so I can �t play much because he has no rivals and he would win every time.

13 Oct 2013     

SaraMariam
United States

I �m also teaching one on one ;) so the person who he will play against will be you. it �s not a problem. plus they love to win against the teacher from time to time ;)

13 Oct 2013