Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Need help with prepositions    

Need help with prepositions

LittleSunshine11
Germany

Need help with prepositions

Dear everyone,

One of my students asked my this and I couldn �t really answer. Can you help me?

I know the rule that we should not end a sentence in a preposition, but this rule doesn �t seem to apply here.

Why do we say "Be quiet, you will wake every body up" and not "you will wake up everybody"? How can I explain this to my student, what is the rule or the structure here? Are there similar examples?

Thanks for your help Heart

14 Oct 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I thought that �rule � was long gone! Don �t worry about it, I doubt if many English people do. �You will wake everybody up � is the best way of saying it. You could say, �You will wake up everybody �, if you were wanting to emphasise absolutely everybody, otherwise it doesn �t sound right. 

14 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You shouldn �t end the sentence with a preposition in formal language, say, if you �re writing an article/essay/report, etc., but in spoken language it �s perfectly fine. Also, it refers to clauses like, e.g. This is the man I had an argument with (informal); This is the man with whom I had an argument (formal)

Now, your sentence has a phrasal verb to wake smb up, and the verb takes a direct object. When a direct object is a pronoun, it has to be placed before the preposition, if it�s not a pronoun, it can be placed before or after the preposition.

14 Oct 2013     

monder78
Poland

wake sb up. If you �re not sure try to  say a word  aloud  in any sentence and  in many cases it may help , for example we will say wake me up.Ueslteacher gave you the exact , very precise explanation. Thank you ueslteacher.You�re incredible ;)                     

14 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

Actually, it was never a rule that a sentence must not end in a preposition. Some misguided people, influenced by Latin, just tried to impose it on the language.

Bruce

14 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry, but there is no such rule- whether formal or informal - about preposition stranding and there never has been. Even HW Fowler referred to it as a "cherished superstition". Blame John Dryden.

And as Sophia said, the �up� of the phrasal verb wake up is a particle which can be used before or after its direct object (wake up the whole house/wake the whole house up) unless it�s an unstressed personal pronoun - in which case it can�t precede it (wake him up but not *wake up him).

14 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello Alex, 
Just one question, though, if you �re writing in formal style, you do use this version (and the like) This is the man with whom I had an argument , don �t you? I mean if it �s IELTS writing paper or something similar.
I am curious, because we�ve just covered relative clauses with my 9th graders and such examples were classified as formal in the textbook (a good one by one of the mainstream publishers)
Sophia

14 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

On this point - �That is a rule up with which I will not put �.

Who said it? No googling!

Here�s a clue - he�s got a few more in this list.

By the way, �whom� is practically obsolete. I would never use it as it sounds pretentious. 

14 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sophia, there �s certainly a place for fronting the preposition - particularly in a very formal register, but it would depend on the degree of formality you were trying to communicate. Sometimes a refusal to strand a preposition simply comes across as awkward at best or just stiff-necked priggishness - depending on the context, of course. Sometimes, it �s impossible (as in restrictive clauses introduced by �that � or even with the pronoun omitted - this is the book (that) he asked for). 

Cunliffe: No, he didn �t Wink

14 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Alex, oh it was just something to have a laugh at. Or at which to have a laugh. Wink

14 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks, Alex, I gladly take on board your advice (most of the times, anyway:)
It �s just, that we as teachers of a foreign language always have to think about exams and those who make them and try to preclude possible problems... unfortunately, forgetting about the real language.
Sophia

14 Oct 2013