Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Possessive with Measurements of Space    

Possessive with Measurements of Space

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Possessive with Measurements of Space

Never thought of it before but now that I �ve come across it in a test, I �d like to know what the sound grammar says about it.
So what would be the correct option?
The campers made a .... (10 km hike) - a ten-kilometres � hike?

Lynne? Alex? Bruce? any native-speaking forum people? please share your opinion.
Sophia

17 Oct 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

I would say "The campers took a 10 kilometer hike." I would not use the possessive kilometres � because the hike does not belong or pertain to the kilometres. The 10 kilometre is used as an adjective to describe the hike. Since we don �t use plural with adjectives in English, I wouldn �t even use the plural. By the way, "made" instead of took is okay, but as an American English speaker, I �d say took a hike. I also use the American spelling of kilometer, but km or even just k is also acceptable. Since this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I see a lot of ads for 5K and 10K walks. (Yes, even in the USA!)

17 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks Moody! I decided to take the sentence off the test all together:) as there was nothing from what you mentioned in the given options.
Anyways, it would be great to hear something from the British people, so please do contribute.

17 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, a ten kilometre hike. Spoken very infrequently, by the way, as people say a 10k (kay) run/hike. 

17 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks, Lynne, as I was thinking it should have the same form as with the time expressions.
Sophia

17 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

Also, since it �s two words, it needs the hyphen (when used before the noun)

a ten-kilometer hike

The hike was ten kilometers long.

Bruce

17 Oct 2013     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Well... I am not a native speaker, but I know what you are speaking about is a "noun phrase".
You may  use  expressions like ten kilometers long/ten years old/ten tons/ etc,. before a noun as  a compound word -always in singular- acting as an adjective.

A ten-kilometer hike
A ten-year-old boy
A ten-ton lorry

17 Oct 2013     

douglas
United States

concerning the "s": don �t use "s" when it serves as an adjective (As I see it. Feel free to shoot holes in this theory if you like, it could be educational for all of us.)

Cheers,
Douglas

18 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Tere-arg : I am well aware of that, Maria-Teresa. This case seemed special bacause,  as I �ve mentioned, it gave the feeling it should be used the way time expressions are used, which are perfectly fine with possessive s and an apostrophe, e.g. a ten-days � trip, a one-month �s holiday, etc. 

@Douglas: thanks for the article! don�t see how "a ten-days � trip" falls under your new theory, thoughWink

Sophia

18 Oct 2013     

douglas
United States

You are describing the trip:

a long trip

a ten-day trip

In my opinion, "ten-days" is not correct --maybe it is an AmE thing.

And using a possesive in such a case really spins my head around (the hike belongs to the kilometer?).

Just my thoughts,
Douglas

18 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

???

I can �t send you the reference to the texbooks by mainstream publishers that I �m using, hence the links...

Sophia

18 Oct 2013     

1    2    Next >