Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > pronunciation    

pronunciation

moemendhia
Tunisia

pronunciation

Hello everyone ,
I �ve been arguing with a colleague about the pronunciation of the word "obviously" , she told me we don �t pronounce the letter "b"(silent) , but in my Oxford phonetic transcription it �s pronounced , can anyone help us tp pronounce it correctly & thanks in advance !

24 Oct 2013      

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

It is pronounced, unfortunately I don �t have IPL font to give you the correct pronunciation.Unhappy Hopefully someone else can do that for you.

24 Oct 2013     

moemendhia
Tunisia

Thank you dear friend for your help Smile

24 Oct 2013     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

You are very welcomeSmile

24 Oct 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

In my part of the US, we pronounce the �b. Something like this... *Ob-vee-us-lee*

In other places, it may be pronounced slightly different and the �b� is less... well... obvious. ;-)

24 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You do pronounce the �b �. 

24 Oct 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Yep, we pronounce the �b � but barely, as Dutchboy indicated, which may make your colleague believe we don �t pronounce it at all. But the dictionary agrees with us, so you, we and the dictionary are right and your colleague is not. Cheers.

24 Oct 2013     

moemendhia
Tunisia

Many greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat thanks to all of you dear colleaguesClap

24 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

And just to ram the point home...

24 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

We can look at it physiologically, too. A v is pronounced with the top teeth touching the lower lip. The b is pronounced with the two lips together. To say "obviously", you touch the lips together, then separate them with the top teeth touching the lower lip. Because of this, the b isn �t emphasized at all, as others have said, but it is definitely pronounced, since the lips do touch.

Bruce

24 Oct 2013     

moemendhia
Tunisia

Thank you for all of you for your precious help!Smile

24 Oct 2013