Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Icebreaker for high intermediate adult learners... who already know each other??    

Icebreaker for high intermediate adult learners... who already know each other??

Emy Lee
Canada

Icebreaker for high intermediate adult learners... who already know each other??

Hello everyone!!

I know, an other strange request of mine Tongue

I�ve been assigned a new group of high intermediate adult learners, starting next week. The thing is, they study together for some time, so I assume they already know each other quite well. Their former teacher simply went away for some reason, that�s why I�ve been assigend to it.

Since I�m the only one new in the picture, I wanted to plan an activity to break the ice and introduce myself. Though, I�m out of ideas... Embarrassed Can anybody help?

Thanks!! Smile

1 Feb 2009      

pitudiaz
Spain

This idea isn�t mine but I�ve tried with my students and it worked. Tell them to write three questions they would like to know about you, any type of information. Once they have the questions, take two students to answer the questions as they were you and score the guesses.  The rest of students have to make the questions orally . At the end you will tell them the right answers. I think that the game is called "on my shoes" or something similar. Hope you find it useful.

1 Feb 2009     

Emy Lee
Canada

Wow, that�s a great idea, indeed. Thanks a million!!

1 Feb 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

What you can do is get everyone to write their name on a piece of paper.  Once they have done this collect the papers and redistribute them.  Give one to each person, making sure they don�t have their own name.  Once they have the new name they have to write everything they know about this person .  Each person then reads what they have and the class has to guess who it is.  As they already know one another you will learn something about your new students. As for yourself you could play truth or lie and have them guess things about you. Good luck!

1 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

In order to introduce yourself, you can draw symbols on the board to give them clues about yourself. Write numbers representing age, shoe size, important dates, or draw symbols to tell them about your likes/dislikes, marriage status, past actions, etc. The more imaginative you are, the more challenging it will be for the students to try and guess what the symbols stand for.
This should do for starters. Smile

OR, play the simple, but effective True/False game. Make sure you have the T / F cards for each student (or team, if you have more than, say, eight studens) to hold up after you have read a sentence. It�s great fun when played in teams. Award points and a sweet/chocolate for the winner. Again, make your sentences funny and interesting and READ them in the same way.

Then, you can play one of the two games suggested above. They�re very good.

Give us feedback after the class!

1 Feb 2009     

Emy Lee
Canada

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Actually, all of them sound so nice, now I have to make up my mind, LOL!!

2 Feb 2009     

MartaZ
Poland

What I also do with new groups is I out Ss in pairs and ask them to speak for a few minutes and try to find at least say 6 things they have in common (music they like , hobbies they have, places they �d like to visit, what time they get up, number of siblings, literally anything). Then they report the things to the whole class, which helps to get to know them a bit. The best thing about the activity is that it DOES make them speak.

18 Feb 2009