Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Roman style calamari?    

Roman style calamari?

florimago
Spain

Roman style calamari?

Hi dear friends : I�d like to check what�s the best  translation for "calamares a la romana " into English : fried calamari, Roman style calamari/squid ?  They�re yummy , you know . I �ll definitely invite you to have a tapa of them if you can help me !!! Wink  Thankssss in advance !!!

Flori

29 Oct 2013      

yanogator
United States

We generally (in the US, at least) don �t call them squid. It is common to see "fried calamari" on a menu. If I join you for a tapa of them, be sure they aren �t overcooked, because they become like rubber bands. Is "a la Romana" breaded and fried, or is their Parmigiano-Reggiano in the breading?

Bruce

29 Oct 2013     

douglas
United States

Actually, "calamari" is the culinary name used for squid:

In many of the languages around the Mediterranean sea, squid are referred to by a term related to the Italian "calamari" (singular "calamaro"), which in English has become a culinary name for Mediterranean dishes involving squid, especially fried squid (fried calamari).  (WIKIPEDIA)

and normally restaurants tend to use the italian name for its preparation "Calamari a la Roma", but you can also call it "Roman-style calamari":

• In Spain, (Rabas or Calamares a la romana, battered calamari, lit. Roman-style calamari) has the calamari rings covered in a thick batter, deep fried, and with lemon juice and mayonnaise or garlic mayonnaise. Squid stewed in its own black ink is (Calamares en su tinta). Battered and fried baby squid is (Puntillitas). (WIKIPEDIA)
  • In my experience, the menu is usually: Calamari al la Roma- battered squid rings deep fried and topped witrh lemon and a garlic-mayonnaise sauce.

30 Oct 2013     

florimago
    Spain

Thanks Bruce and Douglas for your help . If you ever come to Galicia (North of Spain) be sure you can have a good tapa of them for free!!!Wink Bruce, In  Galicia they are usually tender and delicious !!! And I mean the breaded and fried ones . Thanks guys , again.

Flori

30 Oct 2013     

douglas
    United States

I may take you upo n that offer someday Flori, being able to order calamari at almost any sidewalk cafe is one of the things I really miss about the summer I spent in Zaragossa.

30 Oct 2013