Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > True/false/not given    

True/false/not given

t.javanshir
Australia

True/false/not given

Hi there,

What do you think of the answer for the following question taken from one of IELTS preparation books. I was discussing this in my class and it was highly controversial since you can have different interpretations of the passage. (or at least we thought so)

Here is the part of passage related to the question:

Class Sizes
Small class sizes ensure individual attention and opportunity for students to work closely with their teachers. We maintain an average student/teacher ratio of 15:1.

And the question:

At W.I.T you can have individual lessons.
True False Not given

What �s your idea and why?

2 Nov 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would say, not given, because individual attention, which is referred to, isn �t the same as individual lessons. Maybe you can have individual lessons, but it �s not specified here. 
What did you think? 

2 Nov 2013     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with Cunliffe. Definitely not given. 

Individual lessons mean there is one student with a teacher. This will not happen in a small class, but the teacher can give attention to an individual student in a classroom.

Individual lessons may or may not be available, but we are not given this information.

2 Nov 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

So the answer provided by the book (which happens to be 404 essential tests for IELTS) appears to be wrong. The answer in the book is FALSE. I personally believe it �s not given.

However, some students believed that when we talk of small classes we can �t mean individual classes. So all of the classes are group classes but the size is small; hence the answer should be FALSE. Some others said that there is a ratio of 15:1, which means there can �t be individual classes. Others pointed out to the word "an average" and believed that this proportion of student/teacher is only an average, and still one to one classes are plausible. Still others asserted that the word "individual lesson" in the question is ambiguous since you can have a class with a number of students and the teacher can assign individual lessons to each single student (this interpretation seems very unlikely, however).

(for my own information: Is individual lesson synonymous with individual one to one classes?)

2 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, individual lesson is synonymous with one-to-one lesson. 
If you had been given only the options of true or false, then it would be false. 

2 Nov 2013     

hidyhidy
Tunisia

I think the answer is false because they are specifying that the classes are"small sized" with appriximately 1 teacher per 15 students, there is no reference to individual lessons

2 Nov 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

So if there is not reference to it, isn �t it better to say not given Hidy?

2 Nov 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, t, that is why "not given" would be a choice. Although there is an implication that it is false, the actual information about individual lessons is definitely not given, so that is the only correct answer (in my opinion, of course).

Bruce

2 Nov 2013     

s.lefevre
Brazil

In my opinion, the answer is false because they say that in their lessons there is a student / teacher rate 15:1. For me that means that they don �t have private lesseons.

3 Nov 2013