Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Rule - "m" before "p" and "b"    

Rule - "m" before "p" and "b"

Kita19
Portugal

Rule - "m" before "p" and "b"

Hello!

Last week a student of mine asked me if we must always write "m" (instead of "n") before the letters "p" and "b" in English. This is a rule we apply in the portuguese language, but I�m not sure if this rule also exists in English!

Can anybody help me, please? I wanted to answer my student correctly... Embarrassed

Thanks a lot!

Hug

1 Feb 2009      

traceyo777
Hungary

Not sure about that but we do have i before e except after c.

:-)

1 Feb 2009     

lomigue
Spain

I�m not sure but amphibian, amply,amber, ambient,ambulance,employ and all the words that I KNOW WRITE WHITH M before the letters P and B.
I hope help you

1 Feb 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Yes, lomigue, I can�t remember of any word that has "n" before "p" or "b" either, but they might exist... Ermm is there a native speaker anywhere who can make this question disappear?Wink Just because if this rule really exists, I think native speakers should have been taught that in the primary school...

Thanks!

1 Feb 2009     

littlecityblue
France

No, there�s no rule in English like that.  Unpopular.  Unbutton.  No, definitely not.
Sara

1 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

There�s no strict rule, but changes do occur, e.g. with the prefix in- ...

in-competent, in-adequate, etc.

BUT

im-proper, im-perfect ... because of the labial �p�

(That�s how much i remember what i learned at university Embarrassed. I should brush up on it. You never know...)

1 Feb 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Has anyone mentioned silent letters?� I only remember discussing this when I did a unit on silent letters.

Think about words like lamb,� climb, and thumb.� The b is silent.� But words like lamp, crimp, and shrimp the m and the p are pronounced.� Does this help at all?

2 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The spelling generally reflects the original pronunciation of the word. Originally the silent letters were sounded. As the spoken dialect changed/became socially more desirable  the word sound changed but not the spelling.

2 Feb 2009