Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Differentiated instruction    

Differentiated instruction

feridrzg
Tunisia

Differentiated instruction

I am teaching multilevel classes where Ss can �t do the same activities because there is a gap between their levels . Some of them are  quite motivated however others are "know- nothing Ss". They don �t even know the alphabet. The problem here is that I have to find a suitable way to teach them and achieve the same objectives set beforehand. Some colleagues suggested using differentiated instruction which proved successful to a certain extent. This method or whatever it is called requires too much effort from the teacher. We tried to find some lessons based on differentiation in the net but in vain. It seems nobody knows but writing lengthy articles or vocalizing theoretical pieces of advice. 
I am aware that in this site there are  many experienced teachers who can give a hand by sending any lessons or websites in which we can find ready materials suitable for teaching  multilevel classes. Thank you in advance.
My regards 

7 Nov 2013      

Doot
Canada

Hi,
One of the biggest challenges in teaching ESL in high school is the multi-levels.   Unfortunately, it does require more work from the teacher. Most of us teach themes and find activities based on their levels.  If I teach a grammar concept I will teach to the entire class and then gear the activities to their level.  
In our school we have students whose class is teacher assistant.  They are very helpful to work with the weaker students on vocab etc while you teach the rest.  Finding reading texts in multi-levels has also helped. I pick a different group each time to work with while the rest work on their stories .  Sorry that there is no easy solution.

8 Nov 2013     

feridrzg
Tunisia

Hello.
 Thank you for what you wrote. Confused

8 Nov 2013