Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tense, aspect and voice combination    

Tense, aspect and voice combination

lolelozano
Argentina

Tense, aspect and voice combination

Good evening everyone, I�m working on some exercises on Morphology and I�m not good at this. I have to determine whether each verb phrase is finite or nonfinite, and identify the tense. Identify the aspect, and if the verb is transitive, intransitive or copular. Am I doing things correctly? Can anyone help me please? CAME: copular verb . WAS LYING: PROGRESSIVE ASPECT � PAST TENSE � (lying: nonfinite) HAD TAKEN: PERFECT ASPECT � PAST TENSE (taken: nonfinite) SLASHED: FINITE VERB TOLD: nonfinite HAD BEEN ATTACKED: PERFECT PROGRESSIVE ASPECT � PAST TENSE � been nonfinite �attackd_ finite GOT: copular verb - KNOW: nonfinite verb WAS: copular verb ASKED: FINITE VERB SAID: HAD GONE: PERFECT ASPECT � PAST TENSE thanks a lot!

7 Nov 2013      

douglas
United States

I would love to help you Lolelozano, but unfortunately this is beyond my capabilities--Good Luck.

Cheers,
Douglas

8 Nov 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

if i were you, i would create a chart:
column 1 the verb, column 2 finite or non-finite, column 3 tense, column 4 the aspect, column 5 etc...
it would be so much easier for us to read your message and for you to make sure you haven �t forgotten anything...

for some of your answers you need a context to fill the chart
for example KNOW:
1) to know the answer, I need to have a context
KNOW= non-finite (the rest of the column don �t need to be filled)
2) you know the answer.
KNOW = finite / present  etc...

to help you with transitive, intransitive or copular verbs: http://www.linguisticsgirl.com/english-verbs-copular-intransitive-transitive-ditransitive-and-ambitransitive/
COME is not a copular verb IMHO - it cannot be replaced by BE:
ex: He became a superstar in the 1990s = he was etc...
He came to my house => *He WAS TO my house*???
He stayed in my house last night = he was in my house last night

Edit: Alex, it�s like you�re reading my mind :)

8 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

It might be easier, lolelozano, if you laid the exercise out as it was given to you. No offence, but it �s a bit of a dog �s breakfast the way you �ve presented it (capitals, lower case, brackets, colons, dashes etc). There �s no context for the verb phrases either, although I do understand that the exercise deals with morphology. 

In the meantime, I can tell you that CAME (simple past of come) is not a copular ( �linking �) verb; you were probably thinking of become - which is. Also, WAS LYING is, as you say, a past progressive verb phrase, but I �m assuming the exercise required you to split this into (finite) auxiliary + (nonfinite) participle on the understanding that all forms of the verb except gerund-participles, past participles and infinitives are finite. But remember that forms like �told � can be both the simple past or the past participle.  It �s also worth bearing in mind that main clauses are always finite with finite verb phrases ( �She was lying through her teeth �), while subordinate clauses can be either finite or nonfinite ( �she regrets lying to her teacher �). 

Perhaps you could lay the original exercise out in some sort of tabular form?

Edit: Ooops, Elodie... we seem to have posted at the same time Smile

8 Nov 2013