Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use to or used to    

Use to or used to

American Teacher
United States

Use to or used to

HELP! I am very confused what the difference of "use to" and "used to" is.. Our school uses Ventures series, and he book really does not explain.. I am lookng for enough info to make a Powerpoint on it.. 

Thanks in advance-
AT

8 Nov 2013      

pilarfc
Spain

You have to use USE TO IN THE PAST FORM ( USED TO+VERB) to talk about something than happened  but doesn�t happen any more. .

In the case of TO BE USED TO, means be accustomed to do  something. For example I can sleep with the tv on. I�m used to do it.

If you want to say USE TO in the present, you have to use USUALLY, NORMALLY or an adverb like those.

I expect  that this  information will be helpful

9 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Although they �re more or less pronounced the same, writing use to rather than used to is an error ( �He used to live in Sauchiehall Street �, not �He use to live in Sauchiehall Street �). Except when it �s used with did, of course ( �Did you use to live in Sauchiehall Street? �, �He didn �t use to be such an idiot �).

Historical note: before it fell out of favour, the intransitive verb use had the meaning "to be in the habit or custom". Merriam-Webster quotes Samuel Pepys (1667):

I did this night give the waterman who uses to carry me 10s.

9 Nov 2013     

nathalie891
France

In the case of  be used to , isn�t it followed by a verb with "ing"? --> I �m used to doing it

9 Nov 2013