Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Asking for some advice with games!!!!     

Asking for some advice with games!!!!

Jessisun
Argentina

Asking for some advice with games!!!!

Hi, everybody!!! I work for a private English school in Argentina. We�re almost getting to the end of the school year and the end-of- year exams are just around the corner. I�m in charge of a small class with kids between 10 and 13 years old. During this year they learnt Simple Present and Continuous, Simple Past and Continuous, Present perfect, Will and Be Going to. They�ve started doing some written revision as regards tenses but they need to revise these tenses in an oral way. The head teacher of the school promotes learning through games. That�s why yesterday I proposed my class to play a game. My class made a circle and I threw a ball to a student and I asked him/her to say a sentences using the verb �run� for example with the subject �she� and  in the Present Continuous. The student said the sentence and I asked him/her to throw the ball to another student. Then I asked the student who had the ball to say the previous sentence but using the present perfect. After some minutes playing the game, my students lost interest and they told me �Miss, this is a boring game� �.so, do you have any idea of games that involve movement but at the same time they are aimed to encourage oral communication??? Thank you a lot for your attention. Regards!!!  

20 Nov 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

I might add a competitive element (similar to a spelling bee, miss one and you sit down and the winner gets a small prize) or mix it up a bit more. For example, change the subject or the verb or the tense but don �t let them know what the change is before. Maybe, instead of letting the students choose, you choose who goes next, either randomly or pick the students who seem less involved. Add a time element; maybe they have only 15 seconds to come up with a sentence. It sounds like the students got bored because it was too easy.

20 Nov 2013