Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ask for help     

ask for help

iyedbaraa
Algeria

ask for help

Which one is correct? to say : Daniel sometimes has to miss classes.
or: Daniel has sometimes to miss classes. Could you help me, please? answer my question, please?

20 Nov 2013      

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Daniel sometimes has to ......  sounds more natural.

20 Nov 2013     

RJaen05
Panama

Daniel sometimes has to miss classes. Because the Adverb shoulg go before any verb other than tobe.

20 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Don �t separate the phrasal verb "have to." Sometimes is more flexible of position than many of the other adverbs of frequency, but separating "has to" just sounds so wrong.

20 Nov 2013     

bibikos
Greece

I �ll have to agree with the other colleagues, as "sometimes" is an adverb of frequency and should always be put in front of the main verb.

20 Nov 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Dear Bibikos, �sometimes � is one of the few adverbs of frequency that can swap places, so to speak. So, you could change the sentense to: "Sometimes Daniel has to miss classes." The basic rule is that it goes before the main verb, and after to be. So "Daniel sometimes has to miss classes" is okay too, but the "Daniel has sometimes to miss classes" is wrong, meaning it �s not what we would say.  Wink  Cheers.

20 Nov 2013