Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > French speakers, help, please!    

French speakers, help, please!

SaraMariam
United States

French speakers, help, please!

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with a translation from French to English. The sentence is the following:
"C�est un sondage pour mieux conna�tre les �lus locaux issus de la diversit� multiculturelle."
I translated it as "This survey was conducted to gain a better understanding of locally elected government representatives from different ethnic background".
But I �m not really sure about it, because  I saw another paper in which they translated the last part like "local elected candidates from ethnic minority backgrounds". So I don �t know if I got it completely wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance :)
Sara

21 Nov 2013      

feridrzg
Tunisia

This survey was conducted to gain a better understanding of the locally elected from a multi-cultural diversity

Smile

21 Nov 2013     

naimaleghtas
Morocco

The aim of this Survey is to have a better knowledge of local representatives who come from multi-cultural backgrounds. I hope this translation sounds accurate.

21 Nov 2013     

FrauSue
France

Your version is almost perfect, it just needs an "s". "This survey was conducted to gain a better understanding of locally elected government representatives from different ethnic backgroundS". (This suggests they are from all backgrounds, majority and minority.)

Or you could say - "This survey was conducted to gain a better understanding of locally elected government representatives from ethnic minority backgrounds." (This suggests you only interviewed people from ethnic minorities or whose family background is e.g. one of immigration.)

23 Nov 2013