Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Plural of the nationalities    

Plural of the nationalities

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Plural of the nationalities

Hello dear mates,

I wonder if you could help me with the plural of the nationalities. I�ve seen different rules about that and now I am puzzled!! It seems that this is an easy topic, but I still have some doubts about the formation of the plural concerned to the nationalities. For example: They are Brazilian or They are Brazilians. ?? Is the following rule correct?

It �s mostly phonetic. That is, it depends on the final sound of the word.

Words ending in

-an, -ian, -er, -i

require an "s" in the plural

Words ending in

-ese, -ish, -iss, -ch

do not change

Thanks in advance for your help!

22 Nov 2013      

lewisronaldc
United States

The first one is not a plural word. They are Brazilian. Brazilian is an adjective describing they. The second one is plural They are Brazilians. Brazilians is a noun object of the sentence. This explanation may not help you with a rule, but it has helped my students understand the part of speech and why. Ron

22 Nov 2013     

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Thanks for your help dear Lewisronaldc! Approve

22 Nov 2013     

FrauSue
France

Yes - with nationalities we have adjectives and nouns. Often these are the same "He is Brazilian" and "My sister married a Brazilian", but sometimes they are different "He is Finnish" and "My sister married a Finn".

23 Nov 2013     

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Thanks for your help dear Frau Sue! Thumbs Up

23 Nov 2013