Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > would like + Infinitive    

would like + Infinitive

Reale
Netherlands

would like + Infinitive

HI,
Please tell me if the  negative sentences using like+ing & would like+infinitive grammatically  correct.
the exercise: (not have children)
I don �t like not having children.          I wouldn �t like not to have children.
My student doubts their validity.
Thanks

23 Nov 2013      

annelaure
France

they �re both correct but they don �t mean the same thing...
the first one with like+ing is about something happening now, that person regrets not having children basically; the other one with would is about a future situation.
I mean that �s how I see it. :)

23 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�I don �t like not having children � is fine. 
�I wouldn �t like not to have children � is unnatural-sounding. (As annelaure points out, they mean different things).

�I wouldn �t like not having children � sounds better.  The reason? Mmmm... maybe because �having � is describing a state? 

23 Nov 2013     

katpak
Poland

I think your student �s doubts are valid. In Standard English double negation is considered incorrect. In speech/slang/common use though the sentences would be considered ok.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/31667/are-double-negatives-ever-appropriate-in-english

23 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

However, the negatives in those sentences don�t cancel each other out. The double negative rule does not apply here, after �I don�t like� because you can dislike a negative, e.g. �I don�t like having no moustache.� �I don�t like not being top of the class.� 

24 Nov 2013     

Reale
Netherlands

Thank you for your answers.

Is it correct to use an infinitive in place of an -ing form as in: 
 I wouldn �t like not to have a moustache.
I wouldn �t like not to be top of the class.

They sound clumsy but are they incorrect?

24 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Reale, I hope someone will answer you. As a native, I know what sounds right, but I don �t know �the rules �. If someone said it, I wouldn �t say it was incorrect... 
No Bruce/Les/Sophia/MoodyMoody/Almaz/etAlia around to advise here? Have they got non-eslprinables lives to lead, or something?Wink

24 Nov 2013