Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Fun Fillers    

Fun Fillers

Hbomb84
Spain

Fun Fillers

Hi Guys,

I �ve got a lot of five minute fillers but as the year goes on I don �t want to repeat them too much. Does anyone have any great ideas, even some average ones would be appreciated. 
I �ve posted most of mine on here. It �s a just a document with ideas on it. I �ve also been adding them to my blog. 

I �d love it if you could give me some ideas and with your permission maybe repost them, with a shout out of course. 

For regular updates you can follow me on twitter: @sirhofthebomb 

Thanks very much.

H

3 Dec 2013      

Sharwong
Canada

I usually teach advanced adult students, who really get a kick out of English jokes, riddles and puzzles. 

Tell students that riddles/jokes usually play the pronunciation or double meaning of a word.

"Why is six afraid of seven?  Because seven eight nine!"
"What �s a ghost �s favourite food?  I SCREAM!"
"Why did the egg go to the jungle?  Because he �s an EGGSplorer!"

For puzzles, tell students the idiom to "think outside the box"

"There was one farmer who had seven sisters and each had a brother.  How many children did the farmer have?"  (8)

"One hockey fan claimed to know the score before any game.  How did he do it?"

(The score before any game should be 0-0, shouldn �t it?)

After a while, students look forward to joke/puzzle time and may even come up with their own.  Look on the web for more.

3 Dec 2013     

Hbomb84
Spain

Thanks very much. I �m going with a riddle with my classes today.

4 Dec 2013     

Hbomb84
Spain

This one:Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don �t know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they �ve got the criminal?

4 Dec 2013