Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is this correct?    

Is this correct?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Is this correct?

Hello, dear colleagues,

I am in doubt whether the following word in the sentence is OK or not:

With the advancement in technology, mass media will continue to evolve and all you will have to do is to keep being informed about the latest innovations in mass communication.

It seems to me that the word being doesn �t really fit well- but I �m not sure. The word that fits well is yourself. Can I accept being as well?

Thank you for your answers.

10 Dec 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s not exactly incorrect, but it �s not something that would be said. You are right �yourself � is right. Maybe there is a rule against it, but as a native speaker, I don �t know many rules! 

10 Dec 2013     

dillydi
United Kingdom

�to keep up to date with the latest innovations in mass communication �.

Does that help?

10 Dec 2013     

SassieJassie
United States

Being is redundant as it is implied that you will "be" informed through mass media. When we write/speak we are encouraged to reduce redundancy. 

While grammatically it may be correct (struggling to remember all of the rules), as a native speaker it would not be normal for me to input being in that location. 

Another thought is that there is a lot of "mass media" on things that I do not keep informed on, therefore I am not being informed because I cannot be force fed the information :) so it seems to be a conflict. 

10 Dec 2013     

douglas
United States

Yes, it is acceptable, but it is awkward.

11 Dec 2013     

Snizekkornelia
Austria

Hi!

Can you help me?
Which is correct?

scary scarier the scariest or
scary more scary the most scary?

11 Dec 2013     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you all for your comments.