Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Shirt or Blouse?    

Shirt or Blouse?

Anna P
Brazil

Shirt or Blouse?

I have a question about the words blouse and shirt.  One of my students told me that the Cambridge exam would only consider the word shirt, and not blouse.   For me, a blouse is a more feminine version of shirt, although shirts can also be used by women.  I googled some definitions and one of the best was "if your mother wears it it �s a blouse.  If you wear it it �s a shirt".   As a grandmother it seems that I should be wearing blouses Wink
What do you think?  Should I continue teaching the word blouse for a feminine and frilly shirt or simply stick to the word shirt?

11 Dec 2013      

savuth
Cambodia

Blouse is looser than shirt.
the boy/girls are small so they wear shirt.
your mother is BiG, so she sould wear blouse. and you either.Big smile

12 Dec 2013     

nombasa
South Africa

In the past blouses were worn by women and shirts by men. Nowadays blouses are still never worn by men but women wear shirts if they are smarter and perhaps plainer, but more often now the word shirt is being used by both men and women.

12 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Anna

Traditionally, a blouse is a shirt for women and both the Macmillan and Oxford online dictionaries share this definition.  Therefore, I think you should stick to blouse. Yes often ladies blouses are referred to as shirts so it pays for students to be aware of both definitions.

In the land downunder and UK, there is a humorous idiom relating to blouses - see here.

Savuth, I haven �t heard your definition before.

Cheers

Jayho

12 Dec 2013     

Redbull
Thailand

As Jayho says..... A blouse is a woman �s shirt but mainly for the older ladies out there. Today by young girls they would say girls shirt. So using both are correct.

@ Jayho, without clicking or looking at the link, would I be right..... in that the idiom is (You are a girls blouse) = a man who acts like a little girl?

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW Wink.

12 Dec 2013     

Anna P
Brazil

Thanks so much for your answers.  I �ll save them to share with my student.Hug    

12 Dec 2013     

teachertonyinchina
China

A blouse has buttons on the left, as a shirt has buttons on the right.

13 Dec 2013     

douglas
United States

This explains it pretty well, I would only add that you can call a blouse a shirt, but you can �t necessarily call a shirt a blouse (t-shirts are not blouses for example).

Cheers,
Douglas

13 Dec 2013