Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > there is or there are?!    

there is or there are?!

MarionG
Netherlands

tooomas, as Bruce said, there are different rules in different languages. Can you imagine how frustrating it is at times to teach English to Hebrew speakers? The verb "to be" doesn �t exist in present tense in Hebrew....

Which other languages do not have an equivalent of the verb to be in present tense? (I seem to remember Arabic doesn�t either, but I might be wrong - I studied it a long time ago and didn�t get far I�m afraid))

19 Dec 2013     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Marion.
Russian also doesn �t have "to be" in the present, except in a form that is equivalent to the English "there is/are".

Bruce

19 Dec 2013     

nathalie891
France

Hi everybody,
so we can say there is a lot of children whereas we would say there are lots of children?

19 Dec 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

good one Nathalie!!
I would say: There are a lot of children.
Indeed "a lot of" looks like singular but the meaning of "a lot of" is �many �. When we talk about "a lot" as a singlular noun, the meaning would be as in "an area" or "a place" like in "a vacant lot" or "a parking lot". In that case we would indeed say: There is a lot available for private contractors next to the planned community center, bids are to be placed by December 15.

19 Dec 2013     

< Previous   1    2