Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom economy?     

Classroom economy?

izulia
China

Classroom economy?

Hi dear fellow members,
I came across this blog post that made me think if this could really be a solution for classroom behaviour problems? 

The author is a teacher and she shares her positive experience of using fake MONEY that students earn for their good behaviour and use for �buying � classroom privileges. This is her alternative to points, smiley faces, etc. She says that the kids take the money approach more seriously and work hard in class and behave in a positive way to deserve it.

I have mixed feelings about this approach and was wondering what you, guys, think about it? The age group of students would be preteens and teens.

22 Dec 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I really like this idea, but I would have liked a bit of detail. What privileges can they buy? What can they get away with if they pay? Where do you get hold of some fake money? How do you stop them asking for money all the time? 
Maybe there is more detail that I have missed? Thanks for the post - it has got me thinking.

23 Dec 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Lovely idea, indeed, but also a lot of work. I did do this once when I taught economics and accounting (a lifetime ago). The students earned money by coming to class, basic wages, and earned more by doing class duties. They paid rent for a desk, books, going to the toilet and paid fines for bad behaviour. I used copied monopoly money. Some ss kept track, as administrators, and earned extra $$. It worked, sort off, for a while, but it also created too much work for me. My ss quickly learned how to cheat, too, so my goals were missed aka replaced by theirs. Still, they did have a lot of fun, too. And I learned they knew more about money than I had anticipated. Still, it wasn �t introduced as a classroom management tool, but to teach them the ways of budgeting. In short, worth giving it a go, but work out your plans in as much detail as possible. Cheers, Peter

23 Dec 2013