Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Winner!    

Word of the Day Winner!

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day Winner!

The word was nudiustertian. The definitions mostly involved undress and the number three. Maryse_pey� had the undress but cleverly included a reference to the Cistercian (in English) monks. So I have declared her the winner. It is now her turn to select a word for us to define. Congratulations!

For those of you wondering what "nudiustertian" means, it has the esoteric meaning of "day before yesterday," a technical concept which I am sure you must cogitate thoroughly to get your heads around. (I am indulging in my warped sense of humor here; obviously no one has difficulty understanding day before yesterday. No insult intended.)

6 Jan 2014      

joy2bill
Australia

Day before yesterday!!! This concept can be tricky. So many of my students insist on saying "yesterday night" instead of "last night". I wonder what they would say for the night before yesterday!!!

7 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

In Hebrew there is a word for the day before yesterday and it is in common usage, as well as a word for the day after tomorrow � so for students here it makes sense. They always find it funny that English needs so many words to explain something so simple...

7 Jan 2014