Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ENGLISH TEACHER OR TEACHER OF ENGLISH ???    

ENGLISH TEACHER OR TEACHER OF ENGLISH ???

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

ENGLISH TEACHER OR TEACHER OF ENGLISH ???

This is a question for English & American colleagues. 

It may sound so simple, but it has always been a question in my mind. 
Which one is correct to use indeed? What is the real difference between them?

I �m not a native speaker and I teach English as a foreign language. 
I always use the term "English teacher" for expressing my occupation. 
It sounds more practical for me. That �s the reason.

But I know, some of my collagues choose the other one, Teacher of English. 
I think it seems a bit artificial. That �s my opinion, of course.

So, enlighten me, pls Tongue

Thanks right now.

7 Jan 2014      

AngelsAirwaves
Spain

Hi Gulsahbilge!

I was told that it is always Teacher of English. I used to have a fussy teacher very annoying with this who often corrected me this "mistake". Personally, I do not see the difference and I get along with you that the first version sounds better and more practical, but you know, I am not a native speaker either, so I had to rely on that teacher �s knowledge (he is a university professor teaching the English degree). Anyway, that �s the form how I have written in my cv and nobody has never told me anything.

I hope this helps!

Angie

p.d. All right, I have just seen the difference. English teacher can be confusing because you may refer to the nationality instead of the subject that you are teaching. 

7 Jan 2014     

cukurova
Turkey

I am not a native speaker either but I agree with AngelsAirwaves.In my opinion when you say that you are an English teacher,you mean that your nationality is English.Personally it sounds odd to me and I don �t prefer saying that.

7 Jan 2014     

Doot
Canada

An English teacher here in Canada would be teaching English to Canadian students.  I am an ESL or ELL teacher.  I know when I taught in the university my job was also an ESL Instructor.  Otherwise, it would be okay for you to say English teacher.

7 Jan 2014     

Apodo
Australia

There can be confusion, but there is usually some context. When speaking we use what is necessary to make our meaning clear.
This is how I use the terms:
English teacher to me means a teacher of English to native students. 
ESL teacher means teaching English as a second language to non-native students.

English Teacher is OK if we already know the person�s nationality, and in which country they teach.(the context)

If there will be confusion use Teacher of English.

7 Jan 2014     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

Thanks for your explanation  AngelsAirwaves  .

I see your point. I �ve similar confusions. 

However, I came across this info and I think it �s really meaningful.

Very slight difference in meaning here:

"Teacher of English" can refer to anyone who is teaching English, to anyone.

"English Teacher" has the connotation that it is someone who is in the Education system, is paid, and has a class of students to teach to.

I.e.:

John is a teacher of English. He is just really good with English, so he can instruct basically anyone.

Jane is an English teacher. She works at my school.

7 Jan 2014     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

Hi, cukurova !

Thanks for your explanation, too.

You know we teach English as a foreign language in Turkey and we are not native speakers of English. So when we say "English teacher" , we cannot generalize that this will always refer to our nationality. I mean we live in Turkey and we prepare our exams for Turkish students (each of them is sure about our nationality) and sign it under the title of "English teacher", this will just stress our occupation, not the nationality.

Also, think about other school subjects. 
Maths teacher, PE teacher or  Turkish teacher etc.

These are used to adress a particular subject. So, why not to use it for English?

You got the point?

7 Jan 2014     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

Thanks for your contribution, Apodo .

I see what you mean. You say context is important. 

You are right that we are teaching English to non-native speakers. 

In Turkey, English is not a second language and we are not ESL teachers. 

We had better use the term "TEFL" for us. So, context is clear in terms of that.As English is not a second language here, when we say English Teacher, everyone
will understand that we teach it as a subject.

Anyway, you mean two of them are acceptable, but you advise me to  use "Teacher of English" not to lead any confusion. 

7 Jan 2014     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

Thanks Doot.

Our situations are different indeed. We are EFL teachers in Turkey.  
English is not taught as a second language here. So, I guess there will be not so much confusion in terms od nationality if we say English teacher.

7 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

To me, "Teacher of English" sounds overly formal. I would use "English Teacher", unless there is a chance for confusion.

Bruce

7 Jan 2014     

anamagalhaes
Portugal

English teacher is ok!

Have you ever watched the film "The English Teacher"? 
Do not worry if you haven �t. It is really not that good!!!!
Anyway, there you have an answer.

7 Jan 2014     

1    2    Next >