Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > St. Valentine īs Day    

St. Valentine īs Day

M.A.STER
Poland

St. Valentine īs Day

Hi Everyone, I īm a Polish teacher who is currently working on another issue of a school magazine. Could you, please, share with us how St. Valentine īs Day/Love Day is celebrated in your countries? Is there anything special about it? I know, from a teacher of Chinese, Taiwan has actually 4 love days in a year. For those who would be so kind as to send me 2-3 sentences I īll send the link for the school magazine in February. Will kindly appreciate your help:)

9 Jan 2014      

you_per7
Algeria

In Algeria we do not celebrate Valentine īs Day....you can add this information to your Magazine.
In fact .... some florists do not work in this day... others during the whole week...
some people try to exchange flowers with thier friends in a secret way....
on Media scholars in many Muslim countries consider it Haram...
another planet Wink

9 Jan 2014     

anaisabel001
Spain

You may find something useful here:

http://www.dosomething.org/blog/how-other-countries-celebrate-valentines-day

http://www.examiner.com/article/what-do-valentines-do-other-countries-valentine-s-paella-anyone

9 Jan 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Here īs a very nice article in the Cape Town Magazine ( http://www.capetownmagazine.com/holiday-valentines-day ), it can serve you. 

9 Jan 2014     

valentinaper
Greece

In Greece it is thought of as a commercial celebration. So, some people have romantic dinners and exchange gifts with their partners, while others refuse to succumb to the romantic spirit. Flower stores and patisseries, however, tend to put up decorations, like red balloons and heart- shaped boxes.

9 Jan 2014     

M.A.STER
Poland

Thank you so much:) I do appreciate your kind contribution. Lots of love, Adrianna.

10 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi, here in Israel it is becoming more and more popular, especially among teenagers. In our high school, the oldest kids organize a kind of īlove day �. They decorate the lobby with hearts and everyone can īorder kisses and hugs � It is a lot of fun. You can ask one of the older kids to go and kiss (on the cheeck, don īt worry) or hug someone for you. Of course everyone thinks it is hilarious when they burst into a classroom to come and hug or kiss someone in the name of someone else. They also sell real and fake flowers in order to raise money for their end of the year party etc. Sometimes they will burst in and hug a teacher!

On a more serious note. I don īt know why the 14th of February was chosen but it also the day "to break the chain" of violence against women. The project is called  "one billion rising" (1 out of every three women will encounter some sort of violence or abuse in her life, adding up to one billion world wide). They organize world wide dance flashmobs to raise awareness for this horrible phenomenon and to call for change.
My daughter just came back from rehearsals, the youth movement she is part of will organize a large flash mob on the 14th of February and she is part of the preperatory group. You can see what the project is about and even learn the dances via tutorials on you tube.

and the project īs song:

10 Jan 2014     

M.A.STER
Poland

Thanks Marion:) I think I will definitely try the kissing and hugging thing:)))

11 Jan 2014