Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > American vs British English - listening    

American vs British English - listening

ohermann
Czech Republic

American vs British English - listening

Dear friends,
I wonder if any of you has or knows a listening example of British and American English (or a link to). The best should be the same text but read in both American and British English. I tried to search the Internet but haven�t found anything good, unluckily. Maybe some of you could help.
What I mean is that not only some vocabulary is different, but also melody, tone and the pronunciation can even show the differece between those two languages. I hope you see what I mean.
Thanks a lot for your answers. Wink

10 Jan 2014      

breanne
Sweden

There are some small books with audio cds that I have used in my class that are called Oxford Read and Discover.  There are quite a few different ones on different topics and levels.  The CD reads the text both in British and American English.  If you search for "Oxford Read and Discover" on Amazon.co.uk you will find them.

10 Jan 2014     

papadeli
Greece

Have a look here: http://www.manythings.org/listen/americanbritish.html Greetings from Greece, papadeligames.wordpress.com

10 Jan 2014     

pilarmham
Spain

If you can do with a very short text (about 30 words), one option is a Text-to-Speech application such as this one:

It allows you to choose the text, and to listen to other accents as well. The voice is not natural, though.

10 Jan 2014