Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > urgent    

urgent

Rachid84b
Morocco

urgent

Hi all,
 Does the possessive pronoun "its" exist in English or not??

Thx in advance

12 Jan 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Rachid!

May be this will help you:

http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/pronouns-possessive.htm

http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/pronouns

12 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

This is one of my pet peeves, and a common mistake even among native speakers.

It �s is ALWAYS a contraction for it is. 100%, no exceptions. Example: It �s a new computer.
Its is the possessive third person singular adjective. Example: Its hard drive is 1.5 terabytes.

12 Jan 2014     

misternoze
France

Why wouldn �t it?

12 Jan 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Its is the 3rd person neuter possessive pronoun. It �s is the contraction of it is and - this may come as a shock to some people - it has. Mind you, it �s nice to see it �s making its comeback as a possessive...Evil Smile

13 Jan 2014     

spied-d-aignel
France

A a possessive pronoun  I was taught to say �it �s own � but haven �t seen it much used.  But i don �t think we �d say �it �s alone for a possessive pronoun!

13 Jan 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Yes, it does, Rachid. �My dog is chewing its bone � is better aka more natural than �My dog is chewing its own bone. � To use Moody �s example: �My PC is defragmenting its own hard-drive, � sounds a bit ridiculous. That apart from the fact that we write �its � as �it �s � is a contraction of �it is �, spied-d-aignel!

13 Jan 2014     

viccxx
Greece

But there is a difference isn �t there, Peter?
I mean...
The dog was chewing its bone.
The dog was chewing its own bone.

In the second sentence the dog could be a self-mutilating cannibal, or is it just me? Because the first sentence just says that the dog has a bone, and it �s chewing it. In the second sentence, with �own � being added, it defines that tha bone that the dog has is his, as in his very own bone.
 ...or it could be me...

13 Jan 2014     

spied-d-aignel
France

Yes that �s right but I thought the question was about "its " as a possessive pronoun not adjective. I know that �"it �s "is a cotraction of it is but what about ITS as a possessive pronoun without any bone to chew after!!!!!?

13 Jan 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sylvie, I think I see what you �re getting at: its can be both a possessive determiner (or adjective, if you prefer) and a possessive pronoun in its own right. But both can still be classified as personal possessive pronouns, the first �dependent � and the second �independent �. Having said that, independent its is not as common as, say, independent his.

13 Jan 2014     

Rachid84b
Morocco

Thank u all,
 I agree with spied-d-aignel, my question is "can we use "its" as a possessive pronoun?

13 Jan 2014     

1    2    Next >