Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > There is lots of tourists??    

There is lots of tourists??

sdtykl
Turkey

There is lots of tourists??

In a highly respected course book have I just seen the statement "There is lots of tourists" and I really wonder if it is possible to say so.

16 Jan 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

?
Maybe it was a sentense in an exercise to find a mistake and correct itConfused
Because tourists is a countable noun in plural, there are lots of should have been used...

16 Jan 2014     

sdtykl
Turkey

lol, I wish it had been but not!

16 Jan 2014     

cukurova
Turkey

It must be a publication mistake because as Uesl Teacher said tourist is a countable noun.

16 Jan 2014     

sdtykl
Turkey

It was recorded, as well! The NATIVE presenter, the subtitle and the script all agreed :))

16 Jan 2014     

sdtykl
Turkey

16 Jan 2014     

sdtykl
Turkey

It was recorded, as well! The NATIVE presenter, the subtitle and the script all agreed :))

16 Jan 2014     

yingwenlaoshi
Russian Federation

Well, I �ve read somewhere about this controversial point because I used to meet the same stuff in other books before. So, some native teachers say that "there is a lot of books/people/whatever" is used in spoken English, though it is condirered to be grammatically incorrect. "There are a lot of books/people/whatever" is the correct one. 

16 Jan 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

People do say, �There �s lots of ... � but it should of course be �There are lots of � or �There is a lot of.. �  

16 Jan 2014     

serzt
Turkey

Native speakers sometimes say "there �s" for plural things. In one of the BBC videos edited by Speakout series the native speaker says "There �s bars".

16 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

I agree that this is a mistake that should never have made it into a grammar book. However, we native speakers sometimes screw up our own language, too.

16 Jan 2014     

1    2    3    Next >