Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Is it the time to move to DOCX?    

Is it the time to move to DOCX?

you_per7
Algeria

Is it the time to move to DOCX?

why this website does not support docx files?......Shall we stay relying on doc...?
the idea was that everybody will be able to open doc files.....but now we have troubles  converting our docx files to doc since the size jumps to more than 500 kb.
I think we must discuss this point....otherwise we are going to loose a lot of interesting worksheets

24 Jan 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

we can always find ways to compress a .doc document, but those of us who don �t have the new version of word will never be able to open/edit correctly .docx documents i �m afraid... so i really think we should keep things as they are :)

24 Jan 2014     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree! We should be able to upload docx.

And Elodie, there are softwares that can help you open and view docx and they are safe.

24 Jan 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

We should have the possibility of posting a poll to see what the community thinks. AFAIAC, docx format has never caught on with many people. I would not be surprised if most people worldwide still use Word 97 or 2003.

I for one would vote for keeping files in doc format, since that will allow everyone to download and use uploaded worksheets. I would rather go for a file size increase; 500kB is indeed quite small.

24 Jan 2014     

karagozian
France

I agree with Philip, the doc format or docx is not a problem, the size might be very useful.

24 Jan 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

These remind me when Microsoft Moved to .Net
 Software developers where confused...shall they stick to the old generation of programming languages or move to the new one...
nowadays we are obliged to have .Net   framework on our operating system  so many applications can work properly..
I am saying this because  I will be sorry if doc files  will no longer be supported in the next versions of Microsoft Word.....so this webisite will be useless unless  we  convert those 538837 worksheets      

24 Jan 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i know there are softwares to read .docx documents...

but let me give you an example to explain why I said no... in several of the schools I worked in I could open my .docx ws without a problem except that the version of word was ANCIENT and it messed up everything!!! i had so many problems that I had to save my documents not only in .doc but sometimes in .pdf just to make sure I would be able to print/view them at school without having any additional stress (because after printing them i had to queue in from of the photocopier...)
and the softwares you talk about are great but if the computer belongs to your school you can �t install such softwares...

but maybe i worked in schools where the computer were too "ancient" - we did have 1 videoprojector for 10 overhead projectors!

24 Jan 2014     

manonski (f)
Canada

Well, I guess I �m in a good schoolboard because we all have computers that can read docx.

Since I work in that format, I would appreciate being able to upload in that one.

24 Jan 2014     

Doot
Canada

I don �t think we can meet the needs of all teachers.  In our district we only have Linux and so I have to open most documents at home or else the format changes.  As well, because the majority of the people post their documents to print on A4 paper, I have to fiddle with most worksheets I download to make it fit to letter size.  I think we are never going to make everyone happy so let �s just stick to what the majority of the people use.  Have a great weekend!

24 Jan 2014     

cukurova
Turkey

I support the idea that the size limit should be increased.I can �t upload some of works because of the size limit.I can �t divide them into parts and even if I do,it takes time to combine them for those who have downloaded it.Yes this is a great site and we really appreciate Victor for making it possible but if things could be improved,why not?

24 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

I personally agree with you_per7; I believe we should move to .docx and .pptx. Office 2003 is more than ten years old now. I hadn �t heard that Microsoft might not support .doc and .ppt formats in later versions of Office, but it wouldn �t surprise me, either. That would make it more a matter of when than if. I usually convert my downloads from here to .x format anyway.

It would be lovely to increase the size limit, and I am certainly not opposed to that. However, server space isn �t free, but the use of this site is (at least as far as money is concerned). That �s Victor �s call to make.

24 Jan 2014     

1    2    Next >