Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > more fun or funner    

more fun or funner

[email protected]
Spain

more fun or funner

Hi everybody! I  know the comparative of  fun is more fun.  Funner doesn �t sound correct to me,  but how can I explain  it to my students? as an exception like those ending in -ed (more tired) and -ing (more boring)?
Thanks a lot.

26 Jan 2014      

isa2
Austria

The explanation is rather simple:

FUN is a noun, that �s why you can only use an adverb form: MORE or THE MOST.
e.g. I had more fun than X. / We had the most fun.

FUNNY would be the word of your choice to form comparative or superlative forms beause it is an adjective.
e.g. He is funnier than X. / He is the funniest guy I know.

Hope I could help.

26 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I think the confusion stems from the fact that fun isn �t really an adjective. "Funny" is the adjective funny-funnier-funniest. The problem is that funny has a different meaning than fun. Funny - at least to me - means it makes you laugh/smile, whereas fun doesn �t necessarily. A rollercoaster ride can be fun, but isn �t really funny.

Fun is an interesting word, something of a noun and an adjective..."a lot of fun","great fun", but also �a fun class �  and �a fun thing to do �  ....
Some grammarians out there?

edit: isa2, looks like we typed at the same time, still doesn�t answer the the issue of the more and more seen use of fun as an adjective  (a fun thing to do, a fun subject)

26 Jan 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fun is a noun, which is sometimes used in place of funny, an adjective. It goes funny/funnier/funniest. 

I think if you were saying something was a fun (not actually the same meaning as funny*) activity and wanted to make a comparison, you can say �this activity is more fun than that one � (not funner). 

*A fun person is an interesting, lively one, but a funny person cracks jokes. 

I hope this makes sense.....

26 Jan 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Fun is considered to be an adjective nowadays. In fact, the word first made its appearance as an adjective way back in the middle of the 19th century according to the OED. And, if anyone �s interested, it was a verb (meaning to cheat or hoax) before it was a noun.

Also, funner is well attested, whether you like it or not. But don �t take my word for it. Here �s the linguist, Jonathan Owen:

(note how he finishes with: "If you don �t want to use it, that �s your right, but stop saying it �s not a word")

And since I know she �s popular around these parts, here �s Grammar Girl:

26 Jan 2014     

[email protected]
Spain

Thank you very much

26 Jan 2014