Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which suffix...    

Which suffix...

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Which suffix...

Hi dear all,
Please help me to understand the questions and answer:
1. Which suffix doesn �t change the place of the stress in the word?
-on, -ment, -ics, -ate, -ous? I think -ics?
2.Which capital is the youngest?
London, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast, Edinbourgh? I wrote Cardiff, but the answer is not correct.
3. Make a sentence with a formal inversion structure:
the child, would have, died, the ambulance, had, not, come in time
4. Make up a declarative sentence: Little, realize, how importnat, this meeting, is, he, does.
5. The verbs are written with the suffix -ise both in BE and AE
ORGANISE
IMPROVISE
BAPTISE
DESPITE
CRITISISE
MECHANISE
GENERALISE
REALIZE
COMPROMISE
COMPRISE

26 Jan 2014      

Apodo
Australia

Here are my suggestions for the sentences:

3. The child would have died had the ambulance not come in time.

4. Little does he realise how important this meeting is.

27 Jan 2014     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Dear Apodo, 

Thank you very much.

27 Jan 2014     

Maril�abarca
Argentina

"-ic" is a neutral suffix, it doesn �t affect the stress pattern of any given word. 

27 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

For #5, the only words that look correct to me as an American English speaker with the -ise ending are improvise, compromise, and comprise. Despite and realize are also spelled correctly in American English, but neither ends with -ise. I believe "critisise" is misspelled in both American and British English. I spell it "criticize" � I think the Brits spell it "criticise." It is related to critical, after all.

Edit: Personally, for #2, I wouldn�t use "youngest" to refer to a city. Young is usually used only for living things. However, newest doesn�t quite work, either. I would probably rephrase the question to "Which capital was founded the most recently: London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, or Dublin?" (or whatever order the cities were in). My Google-fu seems to indicate that Dublin was actually founded most recently; the dates for Edinburgh and Belfast have been lost to history, London was founded in 42 CE, Cardiff in 53 CE, but the first mention of Dublin is in 140 CE.

27 Jan 2014