Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD for February 7-?, 2014    

WOD for February 7-?, 2014

douglas
United States

WOD for February 7-?, 2014

Hi All!

Thanks Ed for selecting my daffynition of gymnophoria.  I have to say the real meaning is probably better than all the daffynitions.

Anyway, for the newest Word of the Day I am going for a rather common word that is quite difficult to explain the real meaning of to students, so this is a SPECIAL WOD edition;

I would love to hear not only your dafffynition of the word, but also how you explain its meaning to your students.

The word to define is:

serendipity

Cheers,
Douglas

10 Feb 2014      

alexcure
Poland

Serendipity - is a noun partially of Latin origin, its meaning, however, is very contrasting as serendipity is the state of sadness, feeling pity, regret, after having had a serene, calm day. For some people it would be an opportunity to feel enjoyment, but unfortunately there are people filled up with serendipity. For them a day without extreme sensations is a lost day. 

serene - calm, peaceful
di - of, in Italian
pity - sorrow, regret, sadness

10 Feb 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

��SERE :� The military acronym (SERE) is a program that provides U.S. military personnel, civilians and��private military contractors���with training in evading capture. It was established by the� United States Air Force at the end of the Korean War (1950�53)
end: death
pity: feeling of sadness or sorrow for others.
So�my dafffynition�to the word serendipity is a state of being sad or sorry� among the mates of a SERE�student when he was held�in �captivity ,then shot dead by the enemy during the Vietnam War�.��

10 Feb 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Serendipity   Seren = Siren      Pity = shame    Seren di Pity!!!

The exclamation Columbus said when he confused a manatee with a siren

So, a serendipity is a very ugly sea nymph

10 Feb 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Ser: to be, in Spanish
end: finish
dip: a sauce that one puts solid food into for the purpose of conveyance to the mouth
pity: too bad, what a shame!

So, serendipity means, too bad, it �s the end of the salsa or queso!

As far as the real meaning goes, I �ve never had this word come up in class, but I would say that it means when something lucky happens at just the right time. A true, real-life example: I found $40 in front of the gas company, so I turned it in, hoping that the owner would call in to get it. Three months later, after the bank put a hold on our account for trying to deposit too much money, the gas company sent the $40 back to me, just when I really needed it for groceries. Now THAT �S serendipity! (I didn �t need the money when I found it, but I would have turned it in even if I had needed it then.)

10 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Well,

sere means dry and withered
ndi is the National Dance Institute
pity means the feeling of sorrow and compassion

So, serendipity means

the empathy one feels for the dancers who can no longer do their stuff

11 Feb 2014