Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching ESOL to blind children    

Teaching ESOL to blind children

sonjaz
Argentina

Teaching ESOL to blind children

Hi all, 
I am a relatively new ESOL teacher (I only have 6 years experience). This year I will have the opportunity to work with a 10 year old boy who is almost completely blind. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with blind children or any suggestions or advice on material etc. Has anyone used any books which focus mainly on listening and speaking?

Thanks in advance, 
Sonja

11 Feb 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

I don �t know about text books, but if I had a blind or nearly blind student, I would probably depend on real items as much as possible. Your student will need to use the senses he has, not just hearing, but touch, smell, and taste as well.

You state that he is almost completely blind. How much vision does he have? Can he read very large print, or only Braille, or not at all? If he can read print at all, you may want to make sure that he has a powerful magnifier or see what he can read on a computer screen at high magnification. If he can read Braille, see what Braille books your school can acquire. If he can �t read at all, check into audiobooks.

You might also look at http://www.rong-chang.com/ . This site has short stories for children with audio, so that �s another possible resource for you.

11 Feb 2014     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

There is also speech recognition software (used here in New Zealand). Check out the youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSHmPamLGQA

11 Feb 2014