Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Winner of the Name-it contest    

Winner of the Name-it contest

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Winner of the Name-it contest

Wow !!! I got eleven enteries to define my giant mysterious object. I �ve said to isa2 it �s only a matter of time before the Name-it contest becomes a hit among the site members. However, i should say that some of the enteries were about guessing the real name of the object & its use, which is not what was meant by the game when first initiated by isa2. What we want is to invent witty and, or funny names and definitions instead. It �s ME to blame here coze I should have explained it to the new participants.Anyway, I thank everybody , I really enjoyed reading all the enteries.
 After too much thinking, I came to the following: The winner is sarguero for his both  funny and witty entery: It �s an UFRO (unidentified frying object) .
I �ve chosen it because it �s the most suitable name that we can give to the object, though Mohamedthabet �s name :Brik layer (not brick layer = mason) is  very close to the real one, maybe this is because he has one at home! Don �t u Mohamed??
I think our genius Jose is an expert in blending fun with wit and this time he has added metaphor to his recipe. I like to name my object UFRO because it just looks like  a flying saucer landing on Earth!! Doesn �t it?? and what makes the name funnier is U. Frying.O instead of U.Flying.O.!! Yes indeed the object is for frying ,but not deeply, a very thin moistened soft dough  that we lay on top  of it .
The object is a traditional pan made of clay and used in North Africa,especially the East of Algeria(where I am actually from). We use it to prepare FTIR as Nutriss has mentioned; where i live  we prepare with it what is called FTET or NAAMA .Mohamedthabet said we use it to prepare Brik . Actually in Algeria we fry the brik deeply in a metal frying pan and not on this one. The real name of this object is Tajin El- Namera.
And this is how it functions:

So it �s over to you sarguero. Good luck. 

12 Feb 2014      

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

We too, in Tunisia,  fry the brik deeply in a metal frying pan and not on this one, but we use the back side of a small frying- pan-like utensil to make the Malsouka / Warka. We install the reversed pan over a stove / kanoun or on top of the steamer while soup or coucous are being prepared, and spread the moistered dough on the hot flat surface of the pan and keep pasting it there till we get the thin round sheet we need, then once our stack of sheets is ready we fill it with egg, tuna, potatoes, and other things to add flavor. So we don �t in fact use Tajin El- Namera to make briks (breek), but we adopt the same system to make Malsouka (stage 1= make dough / Stage 2 = make malsouka / Stage 3 = fill in the warka / Stage 4 = fry in pan as brik) 

12 Feb 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Thank you so much  Thumbs Up

I like squeezing my brain because it �s a good way to increase my english level after teaching very young pupils, this is a good chance to develop my vocabulary.

So I �m going to "fish" a new gadget

12 Feb 2014