Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Worksheet wrongly reported    

Worksheet wrongly reported

adziteach
Slovakia

Worksheet wrongly reported

Hello everybody. I apologize in advance for sending this short "emoticon", but I could not help sharing my immediate feelings after having found out that my WS from yesterday has been reported for breaking the rules. Firstly I�m honestly not aware of any breach of the rules, secondly - I now feel shocked, disappointed and stained.
So, please, those who report sb.�s worksheet, think twice before doing it, because you may leave somebody feeling hurt by that!
Thanks for your understanding :o) 

16 Feb 2014      

rimiri
Italy

I totally agree with you!

16 Feb 2014     

sona21
Czech Republic

I�m not the person who reported your worksheet but I agree with the reason: you can find the same text - worksheet at http://www.scribd.com/doc/144395816/Cloze-2-Adjectives

16 Feb 2014     

adziteach
Slovakia

I checked the site mentioned by sona21 ( http://www.scribd.com/doc/144395816/Cloze-2-Adjectives).
I am myself surprised to see how similar the texts are at the beginning. As I understand it, I must have come across the text somewhere which inspired me to do my exercise - but I still honestly think that it�s not the same as my exercise. The fact is, they are not identical, my text is not the copy of the text on that site - neither the text, nor the grammar -the words my text tests; is is different in length and my text tests also structures like as..as.., and superlatives). All in all, it�s really humiliating to have to defend my work like this. So I prefer to withdraw the WS if the administrator decides it�s what I should do. But I sincerely had no intention of cheating. The truth is that I often surf the internet when I prepare exercises for my students to get inspired - well, it seems I don�t always remember. I apologize to all of you, but I still don�t feel guilty of cheating. 
Well, now it�s up to the administrator to decide.
Nice Sunday to you all.  

16 Feb 2014     

pilarnavarro
Spain

If I �m not wrong, I think the rules allow to choose a text that it is not original and add different exercises to complement it.

Since the worksheet has been reported, I cannot see if that �s the case. So it is the administrator who has the last word now.

I wish you good luck anyway. Smile

16 Feb 2014     

David Lisgo
Japan

No doubt your feelings are doubly hurt now that another of your worksheets have been reported for using "texts from other ESL websites or books", which is against the rules of this site and is taken very seriously by the owner and moderators of this site. Any one of the 788344 members of this site is able to report a worksheet, but there are a number of very diligent and dedicated moderators who, giving freely of their time, protect this site from abuse and I assure you will have your worksheet and points returned to you if your worksheet was "wrongly reported". 

16 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

You do have an incredible memory! even if i read a text, i �m not able to reproduce it like you do...
for example, in your ws "a letter from New York" the letter is IDENTICAL to one found on the internet, and when I say identical I really mean "100% of the words are the same, the task is the same etc." And adding an exercise and a nice layout doesn �t change that fact...

you �re so lucky to have an eidetic memory!!! but no one told you not to use your power for evil (for example: plagiarism is evil, because you pretend to create an exercise while in fact someone else did all the hard work...)

I don �t have a super power I �m afraid but I cherish this website so much that I �d hate it for it to close because of liars/cheaters like you... So stop complaining and follow the rules!!!

16 Feb 2014     

adziteach
Slovakia

Some very harsh words here. I�m not a liar or a cheat, no matter what you say! All has been said, as for me.

16 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

yet you say your ws was "wrongly reported" and when we explain why it was reported you make excuses - blaming your "memory"- and you tell us how humiliating it is to have to justify yourself but you don �t apologize (since you don �t feel guilty, your apology is empty, it �s like me saying "sorry for the harsh words but I meant every one of them")

16 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I understand how both sides feel but let�s not get too emotional over this as it achieves little.

Adziteach, I have checked both contributions and I wouldn�t say that they are 100% identical but to my eyes they are indeed mostly identical.  Coincidence or not, on the face of it they do not seem to be your original work based on the links provided in the reporting page.

The rules state: Your contributions must be your own creations and Please don�t take texts from other ESL websites or books, it would be unfair.

So, even if you do change something found elsewhere, it really is not allowed.

It�s important to remember that what you create is primarily for your use in your classroom, and, if you can upload it here then do so.  We all have contributions that we can�t upload here for whatever reason. If you need points in order to download then it�s best to create a fully original work that will bring you those points.

Cheers

Jayho

16 Feb 2014     

Doot
Canada

Thank you Jayho for reminding people to not get emotional.  I find the moderators are indeed doing their jobs but I wonder if they were facing this person would they still resort to the name calling they do on this site. So perhaps Adziteach copied a worksheet by mistake, that still doesn �t mean we have to call him names.   He asked the question why - let �s just answer it without calling people names. Is this how you would talk to your students if they plagarized?  Seriously, I sometimes wonder if some moderators feel they need to reprimand others.  The tone sometimes us really disturbing. I would NEVER speak to another colleague in such a way. 

16 Feb 2014