Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Are we guiding other members or reprimanding?    

Are we guiding other members or reprimanding?

Doot
Canada

Are we guiding other members or reprimanding?

Hi,

I love ESL Printables and am so grateful for the many people who contribute wonderful resources.  I also love to read the forum each morning and see what problems are out there and the answers people respond with.  Sometimes though, when I read how someone is being reprimanded by calling them a liar, a thief, a cheater etc I am horrified.  Would you honestly talk to another colleague in your school like this?  Is this how we speak to a student who has plagiarized their information for a paper?  Perhaps some people have a photographic memory... my sister does as well as my nephew.  They can read something and remember it word for word.  I only wish I had that gift or level of intelligence.  I would shutter at the thought that someone would suggest they were thieves and whatever because they remembered something they read word for word.  I recognize that the moderators are needed to keep the integrity of this website.  However, everyone makes mistakes and when a student comes to me and asks me what they did wrong on an exercise or project, i can point it out to them without them feeling worthless and stupid.  I think everyone deserves that as well on ESL Printables.  Can we please show a little more courtesy to other people?  Thanks!

16 Feb 2014      

GRACI2010
Costa Rica

I really agree with you, I think courtesy is one of the values humanity must reinforce

Blessings!!!!

16 Feb 2014     

lauraconte
Argentina

I definitely see your point! We should thank other members for their work, scolding them is useless and immature. 

"Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of the pleasures costs nothing and conveys much. It pleases him who gives and him who receives, and thus, like mercy, it is twice blessed." Erastus Wiman

16 Feb 2014     

David Lisgo
Japan

Moderator bashing again. If the person whose worksheets were correctly reported hadn �t come complaining to the forum and had just accepted it instead of going into denial there wouldn �t have been a problem. Hundreds of worksheets are reported every week but thankfully most members accept that they are in violation of the rules and either stop uploading worksheets or start writing their own materials. "Courtesy" can also include an apology and in this case there wasn �t one.
I apologise to anyone who is upset by my words but moderators also have feelings and off days and in spite of what is expected of us, (as has been said) we all make mistakes, but if we didn �t have moderators this site would be of no value to me and many others.

Sincerely,
David

17 Feb 2014     

viccxx
Greece

Courtesy, in my humble opinion, only goes that far.Of course we should try to cultivate it...I totally agree.. But we should also cultivate values as honesty and integrity. That is the biggest courtesy we can do to someone: teaching them that stealing and lying (and then blaming someone else for catching us) is wrong. 
The moderators of this sight are incredible; they work hard so that this site continues to work for all of us.
 Respect! 

17 Feb 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

I totally agree that being polite, even when pointing out someone �s plagiarism, is the way to go.

17 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I �m usually the type of person who guide people rather than reprimanding them - I �m never yelling at my pupils when they make mistakes - however I hate people who make excuses: it �s not my fault, it �s a coincidence if my work is identical to someone else �s work...

I �m far from perfect, i broke a couple of rules as well (using copyrighted images for example, or leaving a few words in French) an i �m usually trying to help members who break the rules, by sending them an email if I notice a ws of theirs which is against the rules...

But as moderators we see so many plagiarized ws that I do get upset when such members come here to complain that their ws was WRONGLY reported and don �t apologize when we tell them why it was reported...

By the way, if a colleague of mine was using a ws of mine and pretended it was his/her own I WOULD call him/her a cheater/liar, because s/he cheated and lied, which would be the truth - it �s not like calling him/her a "son of a b...", an "assh..." etc... when I catch my students cheating I don �t say well done, I punish them, and if they complain (or if their parents call me to complain) I tell them "you cheated, you deserve what you get". Telling them something else and pretending I don �t care would not help them in any way - we do need courtesy, but we also need truth, sincerity, and respect - respect for the rules of the community we belong to, respect for members who actually follow the rules and work hard, respect for the people who share their work on the internet out of love and generosity and don �t deserve to have their work plagiarized.

so I don �t apologize for the "harsh" words I used yesterday, I meant them, but I apologize for hurting some of you and making you think this community is not friendly - always know that you can ask me anything, ask for help, ask for a ws if you don �t have points etc... but i �m not going to help you if you don �t respect your fellow teachers, and I �m not going to respect you if that �s the case...

17 Feb 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

I totally agree with ELOJOLIE274 , Some bembers just persist with breaking the rules of this site and think that the others don �t know or they are stupid. How do u call  a member who creates more then eight accounts and use hisdifferent usernames to download a ws many times just to receive more downloads and gain points? And the worst of all, he steals his own  contributions and then reupload them with one of his fake names. You  must then  call him a liar and a cheat without regretting it since he takes you for a stupid.
Three weeks ago? I posted a message in the forum  about this story and proved to the members that the six contributions he had sent belong to  one author ,then i waited for their replies but I received the answer from only one who after checking found out that my claims were right. I reported two of his ws and today I �ve posted a question about if it is possible to report another ws which seems like repeated . It has the same text plus four of the tasks of the other one . He has made only a slight change on the remaining four tasks. Mabdel agrees on reporting the repeated one but I �m still not sure if this is what i must do becoze according to the rules in the   modrator �s page we can report it only if is 100% identical to the first one. Yet I feel that people like this  deserve to be treated harshly and their work  should be boycotted.

17 Feb 2014